Chapter Two - Meeting Her Again

Rhett gazed at the delicate bracelet, feeling its intricate design and the sparkling diamonds till his eyes drooped shut. Tomorrow morning, he would go over to granny Emma's ranch and hand it over to Adelaide. The prospect of meeting her again made his heart skip a beat, and he eagerly waited for morning to arrive soon. 

The next day, too occupied at the ranch all morning, he didn't get time to take a break and visit Adelaide. As he trained the horses, his eyes fell upon Adelaide and Rihanna, standing near the fence. He noticed the way Adelaide glanced at him often while Rihanna talked to her excitedly. Although she tried to be as discreet as possible, it didn't escape Rhett's notice and he hurried with his training, discarding his shirt on purpose. The chilly spring air hit him, cooling him off instantly. It had the desired effect, and it pleased Rhett immensely as he showed off his prowess. 

"Isn't he outstanding with the horses?" asked Rihanna with a giggle, noting her friend's jaw-dropped stare as she drew the warm throw closer around her. The Big Snowy Mountains loomed ahead with a cold brisk breeze blowing through the gaps towards the vast undulating plains and it was surprising to see her otherwise sensible brother discard his shirt. Maybe he was more affected by her friend than he showed! 

"Who?" Adelaide feigned ignorance as her cheeks flushed with colour, knowing her friend had caught her ogling at her brother. It was an embarrassing situation indeed, but was it her fault? Who could look away when a gorgeous, drool-worthy, hunky cowboy roamed around shirtless, displaying his rippling, hot muscles while training the huge wild stallions so effortlessly? 

"My brother, Rhett. Who else? Do you wanna meet him?" whispered Rihanna, with a knowing grin, her matchmaking instincts instantly on high alert. 

"I met him yesterday when he pulled me out of Bear Head Creek," said Adelaide, a warm flush spreading all over her face and neck as she tried hard to calm her pounding heart. 

"Oh, and you're telling me now!" she said, and Adelaide groaned. 

"Can we discuss this later, please? He'll hear me." Adelaide's apprehensive glance went towards Rhett, but to her dismay, she didn't find him at the sprawling paddock. Where did he go? 

"Who'll hear you?" asked Rhett, coming up behind her with a knowing grin, watching her search for him. He had never been more excited than he was now, and the reason was right in front of him. 

"Talk about the guy and here he is," said Rihanna with an eye roll. 

"Were you talking about me?" asked Rhett, his curiosity piqued by now. 

"Who else?" said Rihanna, but her phone buzzed with a call from her new workplace and she excused herself and walked away. "Adel, are you coming or what?" she asked over her shoulder. 

"Yes, in a minute," said Adelaide, looking shyly at the hot cowboy in front of her, struggling to focus only on his face. 'Adel, focus, you can do it. Don't look down at his abs,' she instructed herself in her mind. Rhett watched her mumble something to herself, and his curiosity increased manifold. 

"It's hot today, don't ya agree?" he asked, his eyes twinkling with amusement at seeing her flustered while her eyes flicked over his tight, sexy abs. Smiling, he jogged over to the paddock to get his shirt, all the while aware of her gaze upon him. 

"I'm going in," she told him, still at a loss for words. Although she had met him once, she hadn't been able to get him out of her head even for a second. In fact, she liked everything about him. Rhett smiled and nodded, fixing his Stetson firmly in place. 

"Are you sure you don't want to look around?" he asked, hoping she would agree, as it would give him a little more time with her. He knew she was from New York, and her nature was simple and warm, just the way he liked, but that wasn't enough. He wanted to know more about her. Pulling his shirt on, he slowly buttoned up while she looked away, unable to take in his unwavering gaze.