Chapter Eight - The Upcoming Trip

Rhett couldn't get a wink of sleep even after an hour, his thoughts wandering off towards Adelaide and the evening he spent in her company. It was the best, so far, as he came to know more about her tonight than ever before. If he had his way, he would never have let her go home. Her voice was like music to his ears and it echoed in his head even when she had left. He would never tire of listening to her!

It was then that he realized how much he had fallen for her, but how could it be possible when he had just met her? He delved deeper into his soul to understand this new angle more. Was this new feeling a fling, a crush, or was it something deeper? Rhett couldn't gauge the intensity of his feelings yet, but he knew that what he felt for Adelaide wasn't just a casual fling. It was something deeper and so was the desperation to be with her all the time. So was this love? Had he seriously fallen in love with Adelaide? Rhett closed his eyes, unable to seek the answer to his question just as yet, knowing that he needed time to understand everything that was going on!

The next morning, he was training his horses as usual when he saw Adelaide and his sister sitting on their porch, watching him and giggling away. The sight of her set his heart racing, and he handed his horse over to Sawyer and walked towards them.

"What are you two up to this early in the morning?" His glance flew towards Adelaide's and he held her gaze, trying to fathom her feelings for him. He had been so busy that he hadn't been able to contemplate seeking answers to explain his own feelings for Adelaide.

"We're going out to Beaverhead National Forest. Tomorrow's Foundation Day at my school and Adelaide doesn't have duty, having served an overtime on Saturday. So, we'll return tomorrow evening," announced Rihanna, while Rhett's eyes sparkled with interest.

"Who all are going?" Rhett was certain that, however busy he was, he could never let this opportunity go.

"Sawyer, Rex, Ryan, Ryder, Renée and her friend Anastasia, Adel and me. You could also join us."

"Sure, when do you guys leave?" Rhett's eyes twinkled more than ever before as he mentally started planning for the trip. He would have to arrange for the farm and ranch before going anywhere else.

"In two hours. Would that be enough for you?" asked Adelaide, her eyes looking up to his with hope, and Rhett stood transfixed to the spot. It seemed she desperately wanted him to accompany her, but why?

"I need to arrange for someone to look after the farm and ranch before I leave."

"Oh, dad and uncle Kennedy will take over the ranch and uncle Kevin and uncle Kendrick are looking after the ranch," informed Rihanna, offering a perfect solution since they had already discussed everything beforehand without her big brother's knowledge.

Rhett chuckled and looked at the two of them. "You both have planned so much without even informing me?"

"If we would have asked you first, bro, you would have declined. Your work is your only priority and we don't even feature anywhere close," said Rihanna with an eye roll while Adelaide smiled.

"We would anyhow have whisked you away at the last minute without your knowledge," said Adelaide shyly and Rihanna chuckled. A surge of excitement coursed through Rhett's body and he sat down beside her, eying her with curiosity.

"Really? And how would you do that?" Rihanna rolled her eyes at her brother's flirtatious comeback and stood up to give them some privacy.

"I should get going now to pack. See you later, Adel," she said, and Adelaide nodded at her, watching her jog away. Immensely aware of Rhett's presence beside her, Adelaide tried hard to prevent her eyes from checking him. Why did he always have to take his shirt off? It was an extremely challenging task, since all she ever wanted to do was to run her fingers over the smooth, tanned ridges of his muscular body.