Chapter Seven - A Walk In The Moonlight

For the next few minutes, Rhett could not concentrate on anything else apart from his twin's interaction with Adelaide, despite his warning. His dad and uncle Kendrick spoke to him and he answered absent-mindedly, his gaze flickering towards the duo occasionally. Jealousy coursed through his veins and all he wanted was to erase the smug expression permanently from Rex's face as he spoke to Adelaide in hushed tones. He knew Rex was more outgoing, dashing, and charming than him, and being a star footballer, girls always preferred his company, but he had never been jealous until now. Seeing the two of them together, a sense of vulnerability engulfed him and he feared Adelaide might like his twin more than him. No, that should not happen! He had to prevent it.

"Rhett, are you listening, dear?" Granny Emma's voice brought him out of his thoughts and he at last gave her his attention.

"Yes, granny Emma. Tell me."

"My arthritis pain has been bothering me today since morning. I need to leave, dear."

"Oh, have you taken your medication?" Rhett asked, concerned.

"Yes, I have. I'll go to bed early," said granny Emma.

"I'll drop you home."

"Sawyer's dropping me home, dear. Can you drop Adelaide home later?" Rhett's eyes brightened up instantly at the opportunity, as this was exactly what he had been waiting for. He could now snatch her away right from under Rex's clutches and try to charm his way into her heart.

"Sure, granny Emma." He tried hard to curb the excitement in his heart that was waiting to break free and concentrate on dinner instead. The food was delicious and Adelaide appreciated it the most, especially the ones he prepared for her. It made hope well up in his heart that maybe he had overreacted earlier and misjudged his brother, who was only teasing him. Adelaide was his, only his!

Throughout the meal, they engaged in light-hearted conversation, and Rex steered clear of Adelaide and concentrated on his conversation with Sawyer instead. Rhett calmed down and gave her his full attention, ensuring that she enjoyed her food just as he had at her house.

"This is delicious, Rhett. I'm impressed by your culinary skills."

"Only for you. Otherwise, I'm a lazy guy who hates household chores, cooking mostly. Mom handles that every day."

"He entered the kitchen after a decade, I think!" said Rihanna with a chuckle, and Renée giggled, totally agreeing to her. Adelaide soon got engaged in a conversation with uncle Kevin and Rhett just followed the topic, getting to know more about her.

"Do you prefer working here at Fordsville General Hospital or in New York?" asked aunt Charlotte, who was Uncle Kennedy's wife and owned a boutique in Fordsville Marketplace.

"I love it here. Definitely, I had a lot of exposure and gained more knowledge while in New York, but the warmth and respect that I receive here overrides everything." Her answer overwhelmed Rhett's heart, and his hope strengthened that maybe she wouldn't leave so soon.

After dinner, Sawyer dropped granny Emma home. They all agreed to watch a movie, and Rhett led Adelaide to the sofa and sat beside her before Rex could engage Adelaide in a conversation like before.

"Hey, bro, my seat," said Rex with a grin.

"Get lost." Rhett rolled his eyes while Rex chuckled and sat with Ryder, fighting over the choice of a movie. Rihanna came to the rescue and selected a family movie for all but after sometime, the elders left the room to play their card games. Ryan seemed busy on his mobile, typing away furiously, and everyone left him alone. Rihanna fell asleep halfway through the movie while Renée sat quietly on a couch, drowned into the movie, oblivious to Sawyer's gaze stuck upon her as he sat at the far end of the room beside a sleeping Rihanna.