Chapter Twenty - A Good Friend

"That's not reason enough, as we could fall in love after marriage. Do you like someone else?" asked Thomas.

"Yes, I love someone else so much that I can't think of another in this lifetime."

"I understand, but if you change your mind, I'm always ready." She nodded and went to her room to sit on her balcony and sip her coffee, knowing that she would never change her mind about Rhett. She loved him and would continue to do so until her last breath. It was true, Thomas was a good man, but she could never be with him in this life, while the one she wanted to be with was so far away that she couldn't go to him. She felt helpless. Her mom showed no signs of improvement. How long could she stay away from Rhett? Her life had come to a standstill. If only she could get hold of her dad's money, she would hire an efficient nurse for her mom and leave for Montana. Here, there was not much that she could do to help her mom. She wasn't a doctor.

When she went to make breakfast later, after tending to her mom, she saw Thomas had left. She made breakfast and fed the children when Sandy woke up from sleep and came into the dining room with Andrew.

"Where's Thomas?" asked Andrew, looking around, but Adelaide shrugged as she fed Charlie. Sandy served herself breakfast, poured some coffee from the coffeemaker, and sat down to eat while Andrew stared at his mobile phone, checking some messages.

"What have you done, Adelaide? Why have you declined Thomas?" growled Andrew suddenly out of the blue, startling the children, who started crying with fear. Andrew's sudden outburst shocked Adelaide, and she frowned with disgust.

"Can we not discuss this now?" requested Sandy, pleading with her husband, but he just got up and stormed out of the room in a fit of anger. Adelaide knew it saved her from his wrath, but that was momentary. He would definitely take it up with her later when the children were asleep.

"What happened? Did you say anything to Thomas?" asked Sandy. Adelaide didn't like her, as she was as selfish as her brother, but she was curious to know more about this fishy Thomas affair. She did not know why her brother was making such an issue out of it.

"Thomas told me Andrew and mom had planned our marriage without my knowledge. He wanted to marry me but I declined since I love someone else," said Adelaide with a sigh while Sandy sat with a worried expression on her face. "What happened? What's the big deal? It's my life and my decision, who I wish to marry," said Adelaide.

"You do not know about the impending storm, do you? Thomas is a billionaire whose first wife cheated on him after ten days of their wedding. After that, he trusted no one enough to marry again. This is the first time in ten years that he has agreed to marry a woman, and that is you, Adelaide. It means a lot to Andrew since Thomas will spend any amount just for you."

"Are you guys trying to sell me for money? I can't marry him, whatever the case, Sandy, because I love someone with all my heart and soul. I'm his for life. There cannot be another for me. Why are you both so obsessed with money? Isn't it my personal decision whom I wish to marry?" asked Adelaide, feeling frustrated. The children finished their food and ran out of the room to play and Sandy sighed, looking her in the eye to confront her.

"It's not as simple as it sounds. Thomas will bear all your mom's medical expenses and hire a nurse to free you. He would send one of his housekeepers to look after our needs. All because of you, Adelaide. If you marry him, we all can live a good life," she explained in a low tone, as if it were a secret, frequently checking out if Andrew was anywhere near.

Adelaide's mouth hung open at the information. "So, you guys are selling me off to a stranger, six years older than me, for money!" She knew they were money-minded, but could never imagine in her wildest nightmares that her brother could stoop so low!