Chapter Eighteen - Rhett's Frustration

Excitement coursed through Rhett's body on hearing that granny had returned from New York. His heart filled with hope and he rushed to see Adelaide, but when he reached granny Emma's ranch he was in for disappointment. Adelaide hadn't returned, and it was only granny who had.

"Cheer up, my boy. She'll come home soon." Granny comforted him at seeing the look of disappointment on his face. Rhett nodded and asked her about Adelaide's mom's condition. Granny sighed and updated him about everything that was going on in New York, and Rhett felt bad for Adelaide.

"He's taking advantage of her," said granny with a sigh.

"Do you want me to go to New York and talk to him?" Rhett could clearly see Andrew's abusive ways and couldn't see Adelaide being inhumanly tortured by her own brother.

"No, Rhett. You don't know Andrew. He will insult you badly. It would be of no use." Rhett frowned with concern, thinking of other ways to rescue his Adelaide, but sadly couldn't come up with any.

"Then? There has to be some way to rescue her or she'll fall sick in no time." Rhett felt frustrated because after bringing her mom home from the hospital, Adelaide had stopped receiving his calls. She had to move into her mom's room to take care of her and mostly kept her phone muted. Therefore, she could only message him once in a while and it wasn't at all enough. Why couldn't they keep a housekeeper for the other work?

"I have protested about the way he's treating her, but he turned a deaf ear to all my suggestions. I never realized that he was so self-centred. After appropriating all their parents' money, he could easily have spent that on Karen's treatment, but he's torturing the poor girl instead." Rhett nodded, not finding any other way to rescue Adelaide. After discussing for some time, he returned to his house to call Adelaide, but she didn't accept his call.

After twenty minutes, she sent a message that she was administering medicines to her mom, so couldn't take his call. She would then serve dinner to everyone and do the dishes before sleeping. Rhett was restless since Andrew had reduced her to a doormat. He was furious, wondering why she couldn't stand up for herself! It seemed she really needed help!

At the dinner table, Adelaide talked to Andrew and Sandy that, apart from her mom's work, she wouldn't be able to do anything else. "Andrew, I can't pull it any longer. Looking after mom is a 24-hour job and I can't cope up with the household chores as well. Either you keep a housekeeper or you both complete the work before you leave. It's getting too much for me," she said. Andrew banged his fist on the dining table with fury, instantly quietening her.

"I'm the one who's bearing the exorbitant costs of her treatment. Therefore, at least you can cut expenses and help this way if not pay," he growled to terrorize her, but Adelaide swore not to be bullied this time. She would die if this continued.

"Why should you bear the costs of mom's treatment when you can use mom and dad's money? You have sole access to their bank accounts, don't you? I haven't even asked for my share when I have an equal right to it. You're the established doctor mom was so proud of. Don't tell me you earn nothing out of it? If anyone is penniless, it's me."

Andrew gaped at her for a split second, wondering where his little sister suddenly derived so much courage from to talk back to him. "How dare you talk to me this way?" he growled menacingly, springing from his chair while trembling with fury.

"I've lost weight because of the work pressure and with literally no to sleep. I can't survive for long this way, Andrew. Sandy has also stopped doing household chores. If you both can't look after your own house and children, you shouldn't have started a family."

"Andrew asked me to stop and rest awhile, so I," Sandy started guiltily, but Andrew slammed his fist onto the table.

"Enough Adelaide. You've said enough. We're the ones who are earning, so at least you can help by working at home," gritted out Andrew.