Chapter Thirty - Finally Free To Pursue Adelaide

Unable to control herself, River visited Sera early in the morning to update her about Adelaide's return to Fordsville.

"Hi! What a pleasant surprise!" said Sera, opening the door to her friend.

"Hey! I'm bursting to tell you that Adelaide has returned to Montana," announced River with a grimace, not at all liking this new turn of events. Sera stared at her with bewilderment. "Rhett was with her the whole day yesterday, and I'm dreading that he might call off the engagement, Sera."

"I don't have any problems if he calls off the engagement. He has waited for Adelaide for five years and now that she's back, he deserves to be happy with her."

"But what about you and Zion?" she asked with concern, clearly upset with her brother.

"We'll survive, Riv. You can't be selfish and force someone to take your responsibility!" said Sera with a shrug as she packed Zion's food for the day. Quite settled with her new life, she did not need anyone else to take care of them. Every morning she dropped Zion at the day-care at her office with other children and went to her cubicle to work. She checked up on him in between work and fed him the food she packed for him and put him to sleep at the day-care. He had settled down in his new routine and she couldn't have asked for more.

River sighed and went to make breakfast while Sera woke up Zion, freshened him up, and fed him his milk. "I know you can't force someone, Sera, but how will you and Zion manage on your own all your life?"

"We will manage, Riv. Promise me you won't fight with Rhett over his decision," said Sera agitatedly, while River stared at her with surprise, wondering how she knew what she had in mind!

River sighed helplessly and gave in, but the gnawing concern for her friend refused to go away even after she left for work. She avoided Rhett the whole day since she had promised Sera that she wouldn't object to Rhett's decision, and would abide by it. Rhett was thankful to her for accepting his decision, but he knew he needed to talk to his family about his change of decision soon.

However, River received a message from Sera at night which shocked her immensely. Zachary had arrived at Sera's apartment and wanted to take them back to Las Vegas with him.

The next morning, before she could leave for Sera's apartment, she got another shock when Zachary came to their house in a fit of rage. Everyone looked up from what they were doing to gape at a furious Zachary, who stormed inside their house.

"What the heck, Zachary?" asked River, getting up to stop him.

"Where's Rhett?" asked Zachary, staring at the jaw-dropped expression on everyone's faces.

"I'm here, Zachary. What do you want from me? What are you doing here?" asked Rhett furiously, getting up to march towards Zachary. Rex, too, followed him, ready for war.

"Relax boys, let's talk first," said granddad while river caught Zachary's collar to pull him backwards.

"How dare you come here after what you've done to Sera?" she accused, trembling with fury.

"I've come all the way here to get them. What about you, River? Aren't you responsible for what Sera and Zion are going through? I've called you so many times to ask about Sera, but you didn't once respond. Both of you vanished from my life and since then I was going crazy for some information on your whereabouts," he yelled at her, wrenching his collar free from her hold.

Rex pushed Zachary angrily, not accepting his explanations blindly. "Maybe you didn't know about them before, but now you do. What are you doing here instead of at Sera's place?"

"Children please stop this," said granny, pleading with them. Rihanna sighed, not liking what was going on. Only one person was mature enough to stop them, and she picked up the phone to call Sera.