Chapter Twenty-Six - Rhett Finds Out The Truth

Sera regained her strength and, wanting to work, she applied to a few job openings nearby.

"Why don't you join us just like River?" suggested uncle Kendrick.

"Okay, I will. Can I start immediately?" They agreed and decided that she would work on their dairy farm just like River did.

As the days passed, Sera was more and more worried about Zion's future. She had to save money for his education instead of being a burden on River's family. Therefore, she overworked herself and saved as much money as she could.

She noticed a change in Rhett's attitude towards her as the days passed by. He seemed more and more reticent than friendly towards her, yet he interacted with Zion the same way as before. He looked after him, took him for his vaccinations, and followed up on his growth milestones with the same zeal since the day he was born. However, Zion grew too dependent upon him and Sera feared the future. It would be difficult to manage Zion if Rhett went away. The only thing that made her happy was that despite being born premature, Zion started growing at a normal pace, with the whole family taking care of him.

"I think Rhett will marry you for Zion's sake," said River as they sat on their favorite log at the ranch, watching Zion play with Renée.

Sera sighed, not having a choice, actually. "I know, but I wish I had some other option. I don't want him tied up in a fake relationship with me."

"Zion needs a father figure in his life Sera, and Rhett is the only one who can fill that void. In fact, we all are waiting for him to settle down."

"I know, but does he want to?" She sighed, knowing that this was the cause of her strained friendship with Rhett. He too had no wish to be tied down in a loveless marriage forever!

A year passed by and Zion learned to walk, more so with uncle Keith and Rhett's efforts. He had grown very close to Rhett, inseparable almost. He started looking exactly like Zachary, a replica actually, only younger, and Sera felt a tug at her heart every time she saw him. Her heart was saddened that Zion could never have Zachary's love. Maybe he had already married his fiancée and had children of his own and might not remember her at all!

Rhett went to see granny Emma before he proposed to Sera. "Granny Emma, I have been stalling for long but with Zion growing up, I need to take up his responsibility as his dad. I have to marry Sera," he said with a tortured expression on his face, trying to deal with the storm raging in his heart.

"I know, dear. Maybe it is time to move on. After Adelaide moved to Thomas's apartment, I don't have any news of her. I'm very upset with her and didn't accept her calls for a year." said granny Emma with a sigh and Rhett sighed too.

"Patch up with her granny. She's all you have."

"Yes, I think I'll call her and find out what she's up to. I heard she's broken all contacts with Andrew." Rhett was too depressed to react, having come over and see to see Granny Emma to take a last update on Adelaide before he considered marrying Sera. He had expected her to break off her wedding with Thomas, but sadly, it wasn't the case and he went home with a heavy heart. All hopes of Adelaide crumbled to dust, and he knew now it was time to take up Zion's responsibility. It was what his family was expecting out of him.

The next day, he went to Sera's room to talk to her. Sera looked up while playing with Zion, helping him with some baby puzzles that Rhett had brought him.

"Sera, I wanted to talk to you," he started, and Sera nodded, already guessing what he wanted to say.

"Yes, tell me," she said with a warm smile, as it was better to accept her fate with a positive attitude.