Chapter Fourteen - He's Leaving

"Did you miss me, Adel?"

"Yes, I thought you wouldn't come." Adelaide had been upset after that conversation with her mom. Now seeing Rhett suddenly uplifted her mood and a cheerful smile brightened her face. He was like a magical antidote to all her problems, unknowingly so. Her infectious smile caught on and he grinned at her, handing her a helmet that she fixed it over her head. He climbed onto his motorcycle and waited for her to get on. She did, her thighs brushing against his, causing a tremor to go up her body at the touch.

"Hold on to me," he told her, watching her through the rear-view mirrors. Adelaide placed her hand lightly rested on his shoulders, but he grabbed it and simply wrapped it around his torso, pulling her body closer to his. She smiled at his impulsiveness when he wrapped her other arm too around himself. Pressed flush against his hard, muscular back, Adelaide could hardly think straight.

He rode on, but Adelaide noticed they had taken a different route rather than the one that led to her home. "Where are we going, Rhett?"

"It's a surprise." The way his eyes twinkled with mirth, and the understated exuberance in his tone immediately made the butterflies flutter in her stomach. What had he planned for her this time?

"I hate surprises."

"Okay, we're going on a date." He winked, watching her through the rear-view mirror, knowing that she would now go mad with curiosity.

"Who goes to a date wearing a nurse's outfit?" she asked him with an eye roll, staring at her outfit with disgust. Couldn't he have told her beforehand? She could have at least changed into a pretty dress.

"You can change when we reach the place," he told her with a laugh, surprising her even more. How could she change if they were going out to a restaurant for dinner? She wasn't even carrying a dress!

"So? Did you show Rex's pictures to your friend?"

"Yes, I have forwarded them to her, and she's already planning her wedding with him," laughed Adelaide, forgetting her earlier woes.

"Interesting, very interesting. If I tell Rex, he'd go crazy. Why don't you introduce her to him?" Adelaide nodded since that was exactly what she intended to do.

"I would have, but Ember is going away to Chicago tonight. So when she returns after a fortnight, I'll surely introduce them."

"Oh, that's perfectly suitable since Rex and I are going to Las Vegas tomorrow," said Rhett, eyeing her for her reaction after dropping the bombshell.

"I didn't know you were going to Las Vegas. I wish you didn't have to." Rhett's heart filled up with a feeling of pensive sadness at seeing her reaction, but he had no other option than to leave her and go for an infinite period.

"I just came to know of it last night." He stopped his motorcycle in front of a barn from where she could see Wild Creek Ranch at a distance. She knew the barn house belonged to them, but why did he bring her here? It was being freshly renovated when Adelaide last saw it, and now the fresh coat of paint made it look new altogether.

"Why are we going to the barn?"

"You'll see," Adelaide grunted softly at his cliché answer but dismounted from the motorcycle without prodding him further. She took off the helmet and handed it out to Rhett, who parked his vehicle and led her toward the barn. He opened the barn door and Adelaide gasped at seeing the beautifully decorated interior. There was a rustic dining table placed in the center, with two chairs beside it and balloons and small tea lights strung along the beams, giving the place a romantic vibe. There were two wine glasses and a bottle of champagne placed beside a vase filled with beautiful, freshly plucked red roses. Her eyes went to the side of the barn, where there was a comfortable blanket spread out on the floor with cushions that looked quite inviting.