Chapter Twenty-Eight - A Passionate Reunion

Pinning her to the spot with his unfaltering gaze, Rhett reached her in a few seconds. Unable to control the tornado of emotions that burned him at the sight of the woman he loved, he grabbed her arm and pulled her into his arms, flush against his smouldering hot body, leaving not an inch between them. His mouth crashed into hers in a wild, punishing kiss meant to prove to her how he felt for her, even after so many years.

Adelaide knew that this was all she had ever wanted, all she had dreamt about. Rhett, the one and only person she would ever love in this life. Her arms went around his shoulders while her fingers tugged at his hair and she kissed him back with equal fervour. His arm tightly held her, and she could feel the wild thumping of his heart, just like hers. Lost in their passionate reunion, they were oblivious to the strange stare that the cab driver gave them before driving away.

His warm tongue tasted like fresh mint, just as she remembered it to be. It plunged deep into her sweet mouth and tasted her hungrily, causing an involuntary moan to escape her lips. Her eager response to his kiss excited him more, and it was enough to let him know nothing had changed between them. The way she melted into his arms made him deepen the kiss to new heights, and it soon turned into a battle for dominance and pleasure.

"Oh, Rhett," she whispered, when his mouth left hers and sucked a spot on her neck. Her eyes filled with tears, realizing that he was actually in front of her after so many years. She touched his face, his shoulders, his chest and just pressed her face into his warm chest, unable to believe that he was actually in front of her. She suddenly stilled as realization struck her. What had she done? He wasn't hers anymore! How could she be so selfish? She struggled to free herself, but he tightened his hold on her and lifted his head to look into her eyes. His one hand held her cheek and forced her to meet his gaze.

"Welcome back home, Adel!" he said with a heart-stopping smile, not at all repenting the kiss. Adelaide's heart skipped a beat at hearing the familiar nickname on his lips. She had missed him so much!

"Adelaide? At last, you have come home, dear! Hope this time you'll stay here with me," said granny Emma as she came out of the house with her arms open wide. Adelaide rushed into them, her eyes glistening with tears of joy.

"I've come back home now forever, granny. You've grown so frail," she said, hugging her close while Rhett looked on longingly with a warm smile on his face. He wanted to say so much to her, but now, seeing her here, he was suddenly tongue-tied and worried. How would he explain his engagement to her?

"I'll be better now that you've come back home."

Rhett untied his shirt and jacket from his waist and wore them. Then he carried her luggage into the house and they followed him inside, sitting together in the cozy living room. Adelaide took a deep breath, loving the feel of the place. Nothing had changed since she had left!

"You could have informed us you were coming home, dear," said granny.

"Mom's no more granny," she told them. Rhett, who sat beside her, picked up her hand and held it in his warm ones while granny gasped and looked at her with surprise.

"Why no one informed me? I did not know, dear," she said, feeling hurt.

"It all happened so quickly that it didn't cross my mind to inform you, granny. I'm sorry," she said, with more tears in her eyes, realizing that neither had Andrew considered it necessary to inform her.

"Andrew could have informed me considering that he had no feelings for Karen," said granny but Adelaide shrugged.

"Thomas informed him about it, as I have no connections with either Andrew or his wife."