Chapter Twenty-Two - A Warm Friendship

Afterwards, River introduced her friend to every member of their vast family, and Sera struggled to remember all their names. It was already late and, considering Sera's condition, granny packed them off to their rooms after dinner despite their protests.

The next morning, Sera wasn't well, the long journey had taken a toll on her body. Rhett went into the room where his granny, aunt Katherine and River were present, struggling to make her feel better. "Granny, aunt Katherine, let's call Dr. Jenner before she leaves for her hospital duty. I think Sera needs proper care," suggested Rhett.

They agreed, and Rhett went outside her room to call the doctor.

"How are you feeling, Sera?" asked River's mom.

"Very dizzy and exhausted," croaked Sera, weakly.

"Long-distance travel isn't advisable when you're so weak, Sera. Why did you both travel so far in this condition?" asked granny.

"We had no choice granny since her family was against this pregnancy. They wanted her to abort the baby or else leave her hometown so as not to malign their name," informed River.

"What rubbish! What about the father of the child?" asked River's mom.

"It's Zachary, mom. He took advantage of her innocence and now, he's oblivious, as always," said River and her mom looked at her with a horrified expression on her face. She had heard of Zachary and his notorious reputation with women as he was a good friend of her older son, Russell.

Rhett heard everything from the doorway and felt Sera's pain. She really was too innocent to fall for the likes of Zachary Reynor. He had met him once when he went to Vegas four years ago and knew that Zachary was a player who was never serious about any relationship.

"Doctor Jenner should be here in fifteen minutes," he announced, going inside, and sitting on a couch in the corner, quietly listening to their conversations.

Sera didn't feel uncomfortable in his presence at all, as he seemed more like a family to her. Although it was strange, his understanding and kind attitude sparked a trust in her heart for him, something she never felt for her own family or Zachary.

"How did you meet Zachary?" asked River's mom suspiciously.

"Actually, mom it was my idea. We wanted a quick break from college and went to Vegas and stayed at uncle Kennedy's apartment there," she confessed without elaborating further.

"You girls are underage; do you realise that? Did you go to The Solitaire too?" asked River's mom suspiciously. The Solitaire was a club in Las Vegas for adult members, but with her uncle's membership, they could get entry there easily.

"Yes," said River quietly.

"You could have got arrested for underage drinking," said her mom.

River sat looking down at her hands, feeling a little guilty for causing so much trouble. "I'm sorry, mom. I didn't think so far."

The doorbell rang, and Rhett got up and went to answer the door, ushering in Dr. Jenner, who was a popular gynaecologist in their hometown.

"Howdy Dr Jenner, we want you to please check this girl here. She's River's friend, Sera," said River's mom.

"Good afternoon! I need privacy please to check her. I'll summon you when I'm done," she said with a smile and everyone left the room.

After ten minutes, she summoned them back and handed a prescription to Rhett. "You need to get these medicines and supplements, son," she instructed Rhett.