Chapter Nine - An Honest Admission

It was the most picturesque drive Adelaide had seen in her entire life, crossing vast ranches, farms, gurgling creeks, vast plains of wildflowers, and steel granaries set against the backdrop of rolling hills. As they drove to their destination, the topography changed with altitude, becoming more rugged and forested. They reached Dillon district in two hours and stopped at a clearing amidst the mountains where they could see the others waiting for them in front of a rustic cabin on a hillside in the sunny, open prairies.

"That's Coyote Cabin. The view from it overlooks the grassy meadows of the Horse Prairie. This side is the southern edge of the Beaver Head Mountains. This range straddles the Continental Divide in Montana and Idaho. Can you see those meadows beyond?" Rhett asked her, pointing at a grassy meadow overlooking the cabin. Adelaide nodded, looking at the lush green meadows disappearing into a creek beyond. "Those are the Horse Prairies and that's Coyote Creek."

"It's such a beautiful place!" exclaimed Adelaide, and Rhett smiled, parking his truck right beside Sawyer's.

"Took you long enough, bro?" asked a grinning Sawyer.

"Obviously. What else did you expect?" Sawyer chuckled at his retort while Adelaide grinned at their exchange. Rex was busy inspecting the cabin with a Forest Service staff who handed them their keys and gathered everyone around him to guide them about bear and avalanche safety. He also briefed them about the rules and regulations of the forest. When he left, they all went inside the cabin to inspect.

"Is there no electricity here?" asked Adelaide, wide-eyed.

"This place runs on Propane," informed Rhett, while Adelaide inspected the kitchen where she found a wood-burning stove for heating and Propane appliances, including a stove, oven, and overhead lighting. The kitchen area of the cabin had everything they needed: basic cookware, utensils, dishes, and tableware. There was ample cupboard and counter space for food preparation and storage. Ryan, Rihanna, and Ryder brought in all the food and groceries that they needed for their two-day stay while Adelaide and Rhett arranged them in the cabinets and the propane-fuelled refrigerator.

Renée and Anastasia went to inspect the two bedrooms of the log cabin. There were adequate bunk beds and mattresses to sleep up to six people in each room, along with tables and chairs.

"The girls in one room and the guys can sleep in the other," announced Renée.

"First, let's get this place cleaned. Lend me a hand, all of you," said Rex, checking the cleaning equipment provided. He handed Renée, Anastasia, and Sawyer brooms, mops, and pails and they started all started cleaning up. Later, the others joined in after their kitchen work was complete.

"Is there no washroom here?" asked Anastasia, looking for a washroom desperately while Adelaide and Rihanna joined her in her hunt for a washroom. There had to be one, at least!

"It's outside. See that outhouse? There's a vault toilet in that," informed Sawyer, and they all gaped at the structure.

"It's gross!" said Anastasia, scrunching up her face and the other girls agreed.

"I can't go alone to that place after dark," said Adelaide, shuddering a little. "What if a grizzly eats me alive?"

"Bears rarely eat humans. They attack and injure you if they feel threatened," informed Rhett.

"Oh, still I won't go alone," said Adelaide.

"I'll can accompany you," offered Rhett, with a smirk while Adelaide looked away.

"What about us, bro?" asked Renée.

"I can accompany you," offered Sawyer while Renée looked at him with surprise.