Chapter Thirty-Three - Rhett Proposes

The next day Rhett visited the Big Sky mountain village for biking, hiking, and a day of fun. By the time they returned, both were too tired to do anything else and had the packed dinner that they had brought from one of the cozy little diners at Big Sky. Afterwards, happy, and contented, they cuddled to sleep in each other's arms.

Adelaide opened her eyes the next morning and turned to greet Rhett, but he wasn't there. She got up to peer inside the washroom, but there was no sign of Rhett there either. Quickly freshening up, she was about to go down when a grinning Rhett came into the room with a tray loaded with piping hot breakfast.

"Good morning, my love, special breakfast for my special girl," he announced cheerfully.

"Aww, that's so sweet. Thank you, Rhett. "Adelaide as she took the tray from him, touched by his thoughtful gesture. She could see that he had used up yesterday's leftovers to create a delicious breakfast. The quinoa risotto, topped with poached sunny eggs, looked delicious, and so did the sandwiches made from the leftover chicken of last night. There was piping hot coffee too, and her mouth watered as she placed the tray down on the bed.

Rhett sat down opposite her, and they helped themselves to the food.

"How's it?"

"Mmm, delicious, thank you."

"Don't thank me so much, babe! Get used to this, every day. Now that we found one another again, we will always start our day together this way," he said, finishing his food.

Adelaide gasped when he got up and kneeled on one knee before her with a solemn look in his eyes. She knew that this was the moment she had been waiting for. He picked up her hand and clasped onto it.

"Let's seal our future together so that we can look forward to such happy moments all our lives," he said as he took out a small box from his pocket and knelt on one knee. "Since our love story has survived all the obstacles life had thrown at us, the time has now come for us to start afresh. This time we will have a happy journey of love, full of laughter and happiness, fun and togetherness, lots of love and trust. Of course, there will be difficulties as every relationship has, but we know that our love can survive anything. So now comes the most important question." He paused, and Adelaide smiled expectantly. "Will you marry me Adelaide and make this dream a reality?"

Tears of happiness fell from eyes at his touching proposal. It was something that she had been waiting for in the last five years of her life. "Yes Rhett," she whispered, and Rhett slipped a delicate heart-shaped diamond ring onto her waiting finger.

More tears fell at seeing the priceless sparkling ring on her fingers, reminding her of all the promises that they both made towards one another.

They spent the remaining two days in a daze, bonding with one another more, enjoying with each other, strengthening their feelings for one another. They were the happiest days of their lives.

They returned home engaged and blissfully happy. The whole family noticed the spring to Rhett's steps, the sparkle in his eyes. He and Adelaide announced their plans to the whole family after informing granny Emma first. They fixed the wedding date a month later, and it was time to plan and celebrate their happiness.

As Rhett walked Adelaide home, hand in hand down the meandering countryside path all the way from Wild Creek Ranch to her home, they couldn't help the excitement in their hearts.

"How do you feel, Adel?" he asked softly, the moonlight shining upon his ecstatic face.

"Overwhelmed. I can't believe that it's really happening, that I'm really getting married to you, Rhett."