Chapter Ten - A Kiss In The Dark

They returned to the cabin after a memorable and enjoyable trip to the Clark Canyon reservoir, Lemhi pass, and the Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway. The sun was about to set and Adelaide was exhausted, but she discussed the trip animatedly as Rhett drove them towards Coyote Cabin.

"Will we be able to make it before sunset?" asked Adelaide, feeling scared of the wild animals that would attack them in the dark.

"Sure. We'll reach in ten minutes." The sun had set by the time they reached the cabin, and Adelaide and Rihanna started making dinner. They made simple pan-seared trouts with garlic, lemon and parsley and served them on a bed of couscous with a simple vegetable stir-fry on the side. Renée and Anastasia served the food while Adelaide sliced granny's plum cake into slices and served with the food.

"You both should seriously start a restaurant. This is amazing," said Sawyer, enjoying his meal.

"I could kiss the hands of the chief cook," said Rex with a wicked grin, looking at Adelaide.

"We both contributed equally," said Adelaide. Rex smiled and held his hand out for Adelaide to place hers in to his. Rhett grunted with displeasure, but it didn't affect his twin at all.

"Keep your hands to yourself," he gritted out, all the while glaring at Rex, who chuckled instead.

"Can't you teach Renée to cook?" Sawyer asked Rihanna.

"What's it to you? I'm clumsy in the kitchen," said Renée, glaring at Sawyer. As if he would marry her!

"No, you're not. I've seen you in the kitchen and I like everything that you make. So practice more and you will master the art of cooking," said Sawyer.

"Why don't you teach her yourself, Saw? You're far better at it than I am," said Rihanna.

"Looks like I have to do that," said Sawyer.

"I don't want to learn from you," she muttered angrily, but Sawyer looked determined.

"I love cooking, but I hardly get a chance with our housekeeper doing all the chores. Now that I'm at granny's house, I'm trying my hand at cooking," said Anastasia.

"Where do your parents live?" asked Ryan.

"Las Vegas. Dad's an architect and working in a multinational company while my mom is a fashion designer, based in Las Vegas currently."

"Will you go back to your parents after completing school?" asked Rex, and Anastasia nodded.

"Yes, I would have to." Ryder looked crestfallen at the information, not having any idea that she would leave Montana forever. For the rest of the meal, Ryder talked very little, his heart filling up with despair. After dinner, they wrapped up the work and went to bed while Renée and Anastasia went to the washroom together, trembling with fear all the way. Later Rihanna went with Rex but Adelaide didn't want to go, being too scared of being mauled by a bear.

It was midnight and Adelaide couldn't control herself anymore. She tried to wake Rihanna up, but she was sleeping like a log, and so were Renée and Anastasia. Reluctantly, she got up and went towards Rhett's bedroom. She saw them all sleeping shirtless!

God, men! She silently moved away from their room and, praying to God, she opened the door to go to the washroom. Closing it after her, she looked around and saw that there was nothing around. The eerie darkness engulfed her, as the soft porch light wasn't enough. The sound of animal cries echoing in the still night made her blood curdle with fright, and she wished she could wake Rhett up to accompany her as he had promised he would. Not used to living in the wilderness, a tremor ran down her spine and she made a dash for the washroom, her heart constricting with fear.