14. Think about it

JAMES

"Nobody will fuck a novice on their first night here," I continued. "Well, aside from that sleazebag, but he is not representative of the crowd here."

"How dare you? I didn't come here to lose my virginity. I wanted to see what it is that you think I can't handle, what brings you here."

I itched to ask whether she found her answers, yet it was safer to change the topic before we ventured in the wrong direction. "How did you get in, anyway? All members are vetted and need a sponsor." The realisation dawned on me as I watched her squirm under my gaze, her hand covering the card on her wrist holder. "You stole Riley's card, didn't you?"

Her expression said it all. Busted.

"Not so innocent after all, I guess," I chuckled but, really, my fox was purring in my head.

He was pleased that Nat had gone through such a length for us, and, frankly, so was I. It was illogical because I wanted her to give up, yet I couldn't help it. Wanting her, wanting to protect her but also to make her mine, was in my nature just like shifting was.

But beyond the mate bond that was pulling us together, I couldn't deny the connection I felt to her. She was the polar opposite of me, and that intrigued me, appealed to me. The way she submitted without even realising, while still challenging me at times, was intoxicating, keeping me on my toes, making me feel more alive around her than I had been in a long time.

If only I wasn't the fucker who screwed up his fate a long time ago.

"I don't understand you," she retorted, exasperation dripping from her tone. "You say you don't want me, then you come and try to reassert some sort of claim on me, but you still don't want me. Why can't you just tell me what's going on, James? I can sense that there is more to it. We can figure it out together."

If only it was as simple as explaining my stupid mistake from all those years ago. Then again, I was probably fucking things up even more now, so I wasn't sure that there was any solution for me.

"I told you already. I am not good for you."

"Why are you so stubborn about this? I've seen plenty of things tonight and none of them made me run. Can't you just teach me? Would it really be so bad to give this–us–a go?"

"Don't ask me things that I cannot agree to, Lili. And I am sure your brother would feel the same way about it."

"Are you serious?" Her eyes widened before frustration bubbled at her face. "You are bringing my brother into this? What, now I am not even mature enough in your eyes to make my own decisions?"

"You did steal from your sister-in-law to get into a sex club that you knew nothing about, coming here on your own. That hardly screams mature, Lili."

Once again, my mind and my soul were in conflict. I loved the fact that she was becoming bolder, more confident, that she dared to pursue what she wanted. Yet, I also knew that, shifter or not, her decision to come here like this was reckless, her impulsiveness driven by her emotions.

Ha, keep telling yourself that. Aron interjected. You are the reason she ended up here.

I didn't get a chance to respond to him. My mate pushed herself on the ball of her feet, her burning eyes levelling with mine when she spoke again. "Fuck you."

There it was–that fire, that passion that I found myself craving whenever she was around me, but also when she was not. It was cute to hear her swear for the first time.

"I'm sure you would love that." Before I could continue, I spotted Sam and Lea making their way to us, both of them more than happy to see me.

Fuck.

For Fox's Sake (#3, Completed)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara