22. Moments to Remember 🌶️🌶️

JAMES

I lay tangled in the sheets, savouring the lingering scent of Natalia. The feeling of safety and familiarity was undeniable, despite the newness of the situation.

She was asleep next to me, her chest rising and falling with each breath. It was almost too good to be true—I had spent so much time over the past years denying myself even the mere idea of ever being with her, and yet here she was, in my bed.

Careful not to wake her, I slipped out and made my way to the kitchen. The smell of pancakes and coffee filled the air as I poured batter onto the griddle pan. Flashbacks of her flushed cheeks and frantic need last night played in my mind whenever I flipped a pancake.

My little wolf was exhausted from the heat that she was experiencing, and I knew that I was responsible for it. For not giving her what she wanted—what we both needed—but it was not the time for that. 

Not yet.

With a tray laden with pancakes, steaming coffee, and some fresh juice, I returned to the bedroom. Natalia stirred from her slumber, revealing the delicate curves of her body beneath the sheets.

"Good morning," I murmured.

"Morning."  Her voice was still thick with sleep as she rubbed her eyes and sat up, a soft smile blooming on her face when she caught sight of the tray. "You made breakfast?"

"I did. You looked like you needed the rest, so I didn't want to wake you up."

The sound of my mate's gentle laughter filled the room. "Thank you. This is quite impressive."

"What, did you think I was going to give you burnt toast and a cup of coffee?"

She rolled her eyes, feigning exasperation. "No, but I didn't expect a five-star breakfast either."

I tried to hide the warmth that spread through my chest at her words, shrugging nonchalantly. "Just eat your pancakes before they get cold."

We dug into our food, but my gaze wandered over to her as she savoured each mouthful, my heart swelling with a tenderness I didn't want to admit.

Natalia glanced out the window, drawn to the light that now bathed the room. "Let's go somewhere today."

"I'm not sure it's a good idea." By no means I wanted to keep her locked inside my house, but she was here for a reason, and her safety was my priority. "You're in heat, remember? That's why you're staying here."

Her eyes narrowed, a flicker of hurt crossing her face. "I thought you wanted me to stay here, not just because I have to."

Damn it. She didn't hesitate to call me out on my bullshit, seeing right through my facade. "I do."

"Then we're going out." She was a determined little thing whenever she put her mind to something. "And the heat has been much more bearable since... you know." Her cheeks flushed a delicate pink that only made her even more irresistible.

"Since I made you come countless times over the past two days?" I asked, unable to suppress a grin.

Her blush deepened, but her gaze smouldered with a hunger that was impossible to ignore. My little wolf was insatiable, and she wanted more, needed more. My tongue, fingers, and the array of toys I'd introduced her since she started exploring weren't going to be enough for much longer. Not to mention that I was on the verge of dying from blue balls any time now.

"So, where do you want to go?" I tried to redirect the conversation and distract myself from the throbbing ache between my legs.

A smile lit up her face. "I have somewhere in mind. Somewhere special."