25. Dragonfly

NATALIA

As I slowly regained consciousness, my body felt heavy and weak, as if I had endured a gruelling battle. I tried to move, to ease the discomfort, but my muscles resisted, stiff and uncooperative.

My thoughts swirled and scattered like wisps of fog, making it difficult to recall recent events. I blinked, attempting to focus on my surroundings. The air was dense with the soothing scents of chamomile, lavender, and earthy healing herbs. Their fragrance brought back memories of my time in Izaver, but I knew I wasn't there.

"What happened?"

I took a moment to scan the room, allowing my eyes to adjust and my mind to process the unfamiliar environment. Waking up in strange places was starting to feel like a déjà vu.

Warm sunlight filtered through the curtains, casting a glow on the well-worn wooden floor. Shelves were crammed with books and comics, various medals and trophies displayed in front of them, while family photographs in mismatched frames adorned the walls. It resembled a teenage boy's sanctuary, replete with sports collectables and film posters, and I realised this was James' childhood room.

My gaze fell upon my mate, his still form a masterpiece of peace as he lay in the chair right next to me. His head was close to my hand, his fingers tightly intertwined with mine, cradling it tenderly as though it were something precious. I studied his face, the familiar sternness replaced by a serene, relaxed look as his jaw slackened in repose. Safety and security filled me thanks to the comfort of his presence, knowing that he would do anything to protect me.

The sound of my voice stirred him from his sleep, and he woke up. His eyes locked onto mine, and the tension in his face melted away, replaced by an expression of profound relief.

"You're awake."

"Water, please," I croaked, my throat aching with the desperate need for hydration.

Swiftly, he filled a glass and brought it to my lips, assisting me in taking small, quenching sips.

My heart raced as I scrambled to remember what had happened. I remembered visiting James' family and then... "Sara! Is she okay?" Anxiety and dread twisted my insides in knots, a million possibilities rushing through my mind.

"She's fine. You saved her, little wolf."

An immense wave of relief flooded me; not only was Sara safe, but I had been the one to help her. Pride surged through me at the thought, despite the fatigue gripping my body.

James looked at me with gratitude and admiration in his eyes. "I'll never forget what you did for her. But I also would have never forgiven myself if something had happened to you."

As he spoke, the memory of the anguished howls and the raw energy I had channelled to free Sara from the grip of her feral state came rushing back. I remembered the intense, almost primal bond I'd forged with her and her fox, our souls intertwining in a moment of shared vulnerability and trust, gently guiding them back to harmony.

"I'm fine." I tried to give him a reassuring smile. "Really, you have nothing to worry about."

"Nothing to worry about?" he echoed in disbelief, his brows furrowing as he stared at me. "Bloody hell, little wolf, you nearly stopped my heart. I thought..." He faltered, his muscles tensing as the harrowing memory played across his face. "I thought I'd lost you."

He reached out and cupped my cheek tenderly in his hand. The warmth of his touch ignited a fire inside me that made me tremble with anticipation.

I leaned in, pressing my lips to his. The faint scent of peppermint filled my senses, and I savoured the taste of him. A feverish desire surged within me as our kiss deepened. I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him closer until I felt the full force of his embrace.