Chapter 12. Temptations

To be honest, even though I wasn't mentally prepared for it, I had expected to die tonight.

I kept imagining myself on that gruesome scene narrated in the novel through the heroine's point of view. There I was, lifeless and bathing in blood, along with my murderer who's out of his wits.

"So," The grand duke rested his chin on the back of his hand. "You had a bad dream about tonight, that is why you decided to hide yourself here?"

I never would've imagined that I'd be here sitting in the corner of a desolate room with the grand duke as my company. While everyone else was enjoying themselves in the banquet, we were confined in our little world on that chilly night.

My face reddened in shame. "Don't laugh."

"I won't." Alistair held back a smile. He then patted my head a few times, as if comforting me. "There, there. You must have been so afraid, Isabelle."

I stared daggers at him. He's definitely teasing me!

Well, it's not like I can tell him the truth. What am I supposed to say? That there's some random prick being controlled by black magic and he's out here to kill me? He'd only think I'm spouting nonsense.

"By the way, why did you come find me?" I raised my brow. "Don't tell me you searched for me just to close a loose button in your shirt, Your Grace?"

"On the contrary, I wanted you to unbutton it for me." Alistair snickered. "I give you permission to undress me, Isabelle. Though you have to take responsibility with what happens afterwards."

I hissed. There he goes again with his dirty jokes.

I kept a poker face. "I refuse, Your Grace."

"What a shame." He gave me a little smile. "On a serious note, I heard from your friends that you were nowhere to be found. They were worried."

"Oh, my." I smiled sentimentally. "Were they?"

"Yes. They were worried that you might be causing trouble somewhere. One of them was especially convinced that you're up to no good again."

"To think that I was touched for a second... It must be Rumi, that cold-hearted bitch." I rolled my eyes.

Once again, a smile plastered his face. Even in the darkness with only minimal light from the moon, I could see the grand duke's impressive features.

His thick and silver eyelashes, his eyes that shimmered like gold, even his healthy lips that spoke nothing but dirty jokes... I see all of them.

And it was so tempting, like the forbidden fruit.

Come to think of it, what did he say earlier?

"The only time I want you to cry would be out of pleasure in bed or out of joy while walking down the aisle." Alistair whispered to me. "It is not yet time for that, so please save your tears until then."

Good thing it's dark so he didn't notice me blush.

"I may be getting ahead of myself, but I'll say it so you won't have false hope." I buried my face on my knees. "I won't ever marry you, Your Grace."