Chapter 55. You

"Are you sure about this, Kallen?"

My eyes darted on Ashen, who stood from a distance as I prepped myself for my mission.

"Yeah," I answered while adjusting my clothes.

"It's only been days and your injury has yet to heal completely." The concern on his face was palpable. "Can you finish the job in that state?"

The side of my mouth lifted. "Who knows?"

No, this isn't me being arrogant. In fact, I'm acting tough but my wound still hurts. However, I can't afford to wait until this injury of mine heals. Time is running, and Princess Odette is running as well.

The crown prince wants her dead.

If I fail to complete my task, he'll surely get rid of us, the people who know about his odious plans to eliminate his sister. There's no way he'd let us live.

So it's not a matter of whether I can do it or not.

I must do it. I must kill the imperial princess.

I was given this role, after all.

"I'll be fine." I gave him a reassuring smile.

Ashen heaved out a deep sigh. "I truly hope so."

For the last time, we shook our hands and bumped our shoulders into one another. After waking up as Kallen, I had a hard time trusting anyone again.

But Ashen made it easier for me.

Because our relationship was strictly professional.

No one tried to get to know the other personally. As long as he gives me a job and I get it done, we were good. A relationship with mutual benefits with money on its center, no strings attached.

But I do admit that I'm very fond of this guy.

He doesn't need to know that, though.

"Report back to me as soon as you're finished with the job." He strictly reminded me for the nth time.

I lazily waved my hand. "Aye-aye."

With that, I left the Solstice fully determined.

As per my usual practice, in order to camouflage myself into the darkness of the night, I donned a black one-piece bodysuit and wore a mask of the same fabric to conceal my face and blonde hair.

The bodysuit hugged my curves and emphasized my fit and tall stature, as well as my lean breasts and plump bottom. This body is effortlessly sexy.

My twin daggers were strapped on each of my boots so that I can easily get my hands on them.

"The gods are crazy." I concluded while stealthily making my way into the inn where the princess stays. "They're wasting my beauty by giving me these insignificant roles. Those guys are blind!"

For some reason, the faces of all the important female characters in this novel flashed on my mind. Fine, I admit defeat. If you put me in the same room with Ingrid, Ruth, and even Princess Odette, I'd look like a potato compared to them.

I may be pretty, but not as pretty as them.

Anyway, I finally arrived at the inn located in the middle of the route connecting the capital and the adjacent city in Muehler. It was a two-storey house wherein the first floor was for serving food and drinks, while the second floor served as the lodgings. It was similar to Solstice, only smaller.

The crown prince informed me that Princess Odette will be meeting her lover in this place.

By now, they should have been reunited and preparing to leave and escape into the south.