Chapter 32. History

As we stood rooted under the oak tree, the verdant leaves showered our spot with the help of the salty summer wind. The sun indiscriminately gleamed at the lush grass, turning them into lighter green.

"Isabelle?" he muttered under his breath.

In front of me was Grand Duke Averill, whose ashy hair looked out of place amidst the warm ambiance. Even so, his golden eyes compensated for this mismatch, as they were like the sun itself.

"Well, as if a dead person can come back to life."

However, our meeting failed to adapt the serenity of this place. The next thing I knew, Alistair had already raised and pointed his blade on my neck.

"Yet another cheap trick to make me lose spirit?" His face darkened. "Unfortunately for you, I have been warned by my wife multiple times that my enemies might send people like you on my way."

I opened my mouth and tried to speak, to no avail.

"Cat got your tongue, hm?" Alistair smirked then leaned closer to my face. "Disappointed? What did they tell you, that I'd break down into tears upon seeing that blonde hair and blue eyes of yours?"

I couldn't recognize the man before me.

His appearance may have remained the same, but whatever softness he had in him back then was no longer there. He was just bitter and resentful now.

Still, he was Alistair Kirsten de Averill.

The one and only person I have ever loved.

Even if I wanted to tell him how much I missed him, my voice was nowhere to be found. The phrase I love you couldn't find its way out of my mouth, forever lost in the depths of my mind.

And so, my feelings could only manifest into tears.

As tears rolled down on my cheeks, Alistair was taken aback. It was only for a split second, but I saw the shift on his face from anger to sorrow.

"A-Allari?" Servan suddenly appeared, catching me and the grand duke in that tense situation.

When he saw the blade pointed at my neck, his face paled. It seems that he was scared. But even so, Servan hurriedly went to my side and knelt.

"Y-Your Grace!" My brother panicked. "I apologize if my sister has offended you in any way, but she is a mere child who is unable to speak! Have mercy!"

Servan pulled me down with him to get on bended knees as well. As we both bowed, our faces close to the ground, my brother gently held my hand.

"D-Don't be scared, Allari." That's what he said, but he was shaking more than me. "Brother is here."

Dude, you're the one trembling like a fawn.

Alistair scoffed. "She is unable to speak, you say?"

"Yes. My sister is mute." Beads of sweat rolled down on Servan's face. Is he afraid of nobles?

When I dared to lift my gaze to Alistair, our eyes met once again. This time, his forehead was still crunched, but his rage seemed to have subsided.

"Get out of my sight." He said menacingly before sheathing back his sword and turning from us.

"T-Thank you, Your Grace!" Servan helped me get up. "Come, Allari. You must have been shocked."

My brother and I then left hand in hand. Before we departed from the garden, I risked to take one last look at Alistair, only to find him staring at me.

His face was devoid of emotion, but his eyes were melancholic under the brightness of the sun. That pitiful sight was somewhat comforting for me.

It means that he hasn't gotten over me yet.