Chapter 58. Confession

Just as the skies burned in a fiery color, my heart was inflamed with passion when I reunited with Haniel Calypso Astana. Despite the passing winds of autumn, I felt warm from his longing embrace.

"I finally found you," He whispered softly while cupping my face. "I missed you so much, Callie."

My eyes glistened with tears. I was overcome with happiness that I couldn't string my words properly. The sound of his voice, so low yet so soothing, made my head feel dreamy and light.

I was rendered speechless. I stared at Haniel in silence, etching his face on my mind. If this night is a dream, please don't wake me up anymore.

"Welcome back, Your Highness." Haniel greeted Princess Odette. "I see that your austere knight is alive as well. What a shame." He smiled to Ellis.

"Leave me alone, wizard." Ellis scornfully replied underneath her helm. She's so grouchy as usual.

Does Haniel know that we're the same person?

"Yo, Haniel." Princess Odette patted him on the shoulder. They seem close. "Anything new?"

"You have a guest. He arrived just a few moments ago." Haniel informed the princess. "You should hurry. It seems that he cannot stay for too long."

"I see," The princess gestured her knight and they walked back to our chaise. "Let's get going, then."

"I already scouted the area ahead, Your Highness. It should be safe for you two to head back to the camp." Haniel secretly held my hand behind us.

"What about you?" The princess inquired.

"I brought my own horse." Haniel eyed me with a small smile. "I'll take this beautiful lady with me."

Ellis made some weird gurgling noises, like she was throwing up from his cheesy lines. On the other hand, the princess seemed amused by him.

"Getting lovey-dovey as soon as you meet, huh?" Princess Odette chuckled. "Very well. Let us meet at the camp, then. I shall hear your report later."

The princess and her knight boarded the carriage then left right away. As soon as their chaise was out of our sight, Haniel and I faced each other.

He cleared his throat. "Shall we?"

The way he nervously spoke made me smile. He was trying to act cool, but Haniel was flustered.

He was just as endearing as I remember him.

We walked hand in hand as we approached his horse who was calmly mounted beside a tree.

The autumn leaves crunched beneath us with every step we took, with many of them falling over us at the same time amidst the sunset.

The moment I captured with my own eyes was perfect. The sky was ablaze with the fire of the setting sun. In front of me was Haniel Calypso Astana, whom I thought I have lost forever.

"Hold onto me, Callie." Haniel offered as we were about to mount his horse. He carefully held my waist then lifted me on the back of the animal.

I sat unmoving, gazing down on him. I thought he would let go, but his hands stayed on my waist for a while. The black-haired mage stared at me, the pallid glow of the sunset reflecting on his eyes.

"How have you been?" he asked sentimentally.

I teared up for a bit before answering. "Awful."

"I see." He took my hand then played with it. "It must've been hard. It was awful for me as well."

He slowly intertwined our fingers without breaking his gaze from me. It felt like I was drowning from his cavernous purple eyes.

"I thought of you day and night." His sonorous voice left me breathless. "The days that I spent without you were tantamount to hell, Callista."