Chapter 52. An Unexpected Guest

"Did anybody see you last night, Kallen?"

I was having my breakfast at Solstice when the ginger guy sat across me as usual and struck a conversation rather furtively like a criminal.

I eyed him indifferently. "No."

"Are you sure?" Ashen whispered while glancing around. "I heard that the imperial knights raided the casino last night. No one saw your face at all?"

"It was dark, and I was disguised as a man. Even if they suspect the coachman as the murderer, they'd be searching for a man, not a woman."

"Okay." He blew a sigh of relief. "Good to hear that. You're my lucky star and you bring lots of money to my business. Gotta take good care of you!"

The corner of my mouth lifted. Yeah, his business boomed thanks to me. On the surface, Solstice is just a regular tavern that serves good food and drinks. In reality, though, it is home to hitmen.

I'm just one of its many hired killers who get paid to eliminate people. We're called hitmen, not assassins, because we do it purely for the money and there's no politics involved in our motivations. We simply kill indiscriminately.

When I first woke up as Kallen, I was mortified.

But that feeling didn't last long. I had a lot of pent up emotions from the previous roles I lived. Guilt, resentment, and sorrow. This job helped me cope.

It turned me into the kind of monster I detested.

Still, I didn't choose this life. The novel chose me.

"Anyway, watch out for your neck." Ashen warned me in a serious tone. "Many trash nobles are wary of you, thinking you might come after their head."

I shrugged. "With the right price, I will."

"Well, you gotta work to eat, alright." Ashen burst into laughter. "I'm simply telling you to be careful. Not everyone appreciates vigilantes, you know."

My brows furrowed. "Don't call me that."

"Aren't you one?" The tavern owner insisted with a sly grin. "You only go after the worst of the lot. Rapists, domestic abusers, and serial killers."

"At the end of the day, murder is murder." I shook my head while stirring my drink. "I'm no different from those scums I kill. Don't be mistaken, Ashen."

He smiled a little. "You're too hard on yourself."

While the ginger was busy rambling across me, we both noticed an unusual customer enter the tavern. It was a woman dressed lightly, but the way she carried herself screamed elegance.

Her black hair was fixed into a neat low bun and she wore huge veil, which concealed her whole face. A tall woman with a slender figure as well.

One look at her and you'd know she's a noble.

"Welcome to Solstice, madam!" Ashen beamed.

"Yes." She purposely made her voice deeper and more raspy. "I am here for the special service."

Ashen and I exchanged meaningful glances. The tavern owner winked at me and excused himself to assist the woman. Look at him overjoyed that a client's here to pay for some random dude's death.

His eyes twinkled. "This way, madam!"

I watched the ginger as he ushered the guest to a private room. Why does that woman look familiar, though? I feel like I've seen her before but I can't remember when and where exactly.

I couldn't see her face clearly because of the veil, but her figure and voice were reminiscent of someone I met in the past. Who could it be?

I was curious, but I decided to shrug it off. Nothing good comes from dealing with nobility, anyway.