Chapter 27. Farewell

When words escape your mouth in the heat of the moment, regrets always come back to bite you.

That was the aftermath of my argument with the grand duke. Regrets splashed over me like cold water, and I realised the graveness of my mistake.

So when I returned to Lady Camellia's chambers, my eyes were so close to crying a night's worth.

Her ladyship frowned. "You look sullen. Did your conversation with the grand duke not go well?"

I bit my lower lip to hold back my tears.

"That is not the face of a maiden who happily gave her yes to a marriage proposal." Lady Camellia crossed her arms. "What happened, Isabelle?"

"Well, that's..." My voice cracked. "I refused."

Her brows lifted in surprise. For a moment, she was rendered speechless, but then the villainess tilted her head in amusement before speaking.

"I know you probably have your own reasons, but to think that a maid would refuse a grand duke..." She smirked. "The public will go feral over this."

Tears streamed down on my cheeks. "You should be comforting me at a time like this, my lady."

"Come here, then." Lady Camellia lightly tapped her lap. "I shall lend you my thick thighs to cry on. Would that be enough?" She offered cold comfort.

Despite her sarcasm, I walked up to her anyway.

My legs weakened and I buried my face on her lap, like a child in need of consolation from her mother. Luckily, she didn't demur at my gesture.

"I even wished him good luck with his proposal, yet this is what happens..." The villainess clicked her tongue. "Why did you refuse to get married?"

I couldn't answer. Now that I think about it, even Lady Camellia doesn't know that I've already died once and only came back to life as another extra.

I angered her with all that talk about trust before, when I also hid that from her... What a hypocrite.

This must be my own punishment.

"Nevermind. It seems you aren't in the right state of mind to answer my questions." Her ladyship blew a sigh. "Now, cry to your heart's content."

With that, I broke down into tears. My heart was torn asunder when I recalled our hurtful exchange. Alistair was absolutely right.

I spoke selfishly, like I would lose all my dignity if I were to marry him. Yet Grand Duke Averill was prepared to abandon everything for me -- his honour, prestige, and the purity of his bloodline.

I should have told him the truth, that this world was a novel and each of us has a role to fulfill.

That he was an important character, that I was an extra fated to die soon, that I was terrified of the storyline. But would he have believed me if I did?

"My lady... I didn't mean to hurt him."

"I know." Once again, she sighed.

I burst into sobs. "I truly love him!"

"I know," Lady Camellia gently patted the small of my back. "And I'm sure His Grace knows that too."

I made no effort to compose myself. The villainess constantly had a disapproving look on her face while I was crying like a baby, but she also kept caressing my back as an effort to comfort me.

"What did I tell you?" Lady Camellia frowned then shook her head. "In this world where our fates are decided by the novel, to love is foolish, Isabelle."