Chapter 60. Double Agent

In an instant, my face darkened like the deepness of the night. The princess spoke amicably as we entered, but her words never managed to invade my mind fully occupied with hostile thoughts.

The sight of his silver hair and golden eyes, which used to leave me breathless in the past, stole my breath for a completely different reason this time.

I inhaled sharply. "What are you doing here?"

I stood breathless in front of Alistair Kirsten de Averill, this time out of disbelief and resentment.

His eyes narrowed into slits. "We meet again."

"Oh, you already know each other?" Princess Odette inquired innocently, seemingly pleased.

"Yes. Let's just say that we share a history." My eyes twitched. "And that history includes him betraying me, Your Highness." I said bitterly.

To everybody's surprise, I lunged towards Alistair and pushed him against the corner. He spared no effort to resist against my rough touch, and Grand Duke Averill quietly stared at me with rueful eyes.

"I'll ask again." I grabbed him by the collar and slammed him against the wall. "What are you doing here, you traitor? You must be insane."

"Kallen!" The princess shouted in panic. "What are you doing? Let go of the grand duke this instant!"

"I refuse." I said through gritted teeth.

"I command it, executioner!" she growled.

"Princess," I threw her a scorching glare. "You're sorely mistaken if you think I'd be an obsequious servant that you could order around like a dog."

The moment I talked back to Princess Odette, Ellis unsheathed her sword and raised it towards me.

As if on cue, Haniel also stepped in front of me, shielding me from the knight. Every soul in that room stopped breathing, and only the ticking clock could be heard in that tense situation.

Princess Odette turned to the mage. "Haniel!"

"I made myself clear from the start." Haniel stated in a dangerously calm voice. "Raise your sword against my girl, and you make an enemy of me."

The imperial princess took a deep breath in a successful attempt to calm herself down. She glanced over her knight. "Ellis, put it down."

"But, Your Highness..." The knight argued back.

"Put the sword down!" Princess Odette fumed.

Ellis begrudgingly lowered the blade at her master's order. The transmigrator princess glanced over me with a hint of displeasure.

"I do not know the reason behind your hostility towards that man," She clicked her tongue. "But Grand Duke Averill is one of my people, Kallen."

Alistair and I stared eye to eye with each other.

"You cannot lay your hands on him." she added.

"I'm afraid you will have to choose between us, then." I muttered grimly. "I simply can't coexist with this man. One of us has to leave, princess."

Her lips parted. "What?"

Alistair, who has been completely silent the whole time, lowered his gaze in shame. One look at him and the penitence was evident all over his face.

"I beseech you." His voice trembled as he spoke. "Please do not put Her Highness in a tough spot."

Grand Duke Averill gave me a pleading look.

"I know you despise my existence," He sounded so hurt. "But I beg you to set aside that hate for now."

My jaw clenched. "Why should I?"