Chapter 45. Departure

After recalling that particular scene of the novel, it was impossible to look at Haniel the same way. His lascivious gaze down on me kept coming to mind.

I only see him as a precious companion, but I feel awkward knowing that Haniel has feelings for me.

I mean, he was having sex with me in an alternate universe. How am I supposed to respond to that emotionally? Admittedly, he was also sexy during that scene, but it's so weird to see your friend like that. Seriously, it feels wrong on so many levels!

"There you are," A firm and manly voice spoke behind me while I was idling in the garden.

I shrieked in horror when Haniel appeared on my side. He flinched, seemingly surprised by my reaction, and his brows furrowed in confusion.

"What? Why are you acting like it's judgment day when I arrived?" The purple-eyed mage queried.

I shook my head frantically then looked away.

"Why are you avoiding my gaze?" His smile was screaming intrigued. "What happened? Don't tell me you've had wet dreams about me, Callista?"

My face reddened in embarrassment.

"Huh? Why are you turning red?" Haniel blinked twice. "I was merely jesting. Is it true after all?"

Before he could run his mouth more, I kicked his shin and angrily marched away. His candid laughter filled the garden as he followed me.

"My apologies. I won't ask you anymore." Haniel smiled from ear to ear. "I came here to talk about something else. Can you spare me a little time?"

And so, both of us settled on one of the stone benches found in the garden. The humid air brought by the summer made my skin sticky.

"Father has granted us permission to head south, under the guise of inspecting the private land of Grand Duke Averill." Haniel informed me shortly.

The mage took out a long piece of paper neatly rolled. Haniel untied it then laid it out on the bench, and that's when I realized it's a map.

"There are two ways to travel into Surinam. First, we can circle from here and take the route to the west. However, the way to Muehler is currently closed due to the massive influx of monsters."

I patiently waited for his further explanation.

"So that leaves us the route to the east, Callie."

At that point, Haniel seemed unsettled. When he saw the puzzled look on my face, he spoke out.

"I was wondering if you would be alright while traveling through the east. It is the homeland of your deceased friend, is it not?" Haniel explained.

Ah. He was referring to Princess Himari.

To be honest, I still think of her from time to time. Not only the princess, but also my friends who were gone too soon from this mortal world.

But every time they cross my mind, I'm comforted by the idea that they are already in a better place.

May it be heaven, or a different world where they are the main protagonist of their own stories.

So there's no need for Haniel to be concerned about my feelings, but I really appreciate it.

I wrote down my honest thoughts on my paper.

Thank you for being so considerate.

A small smile dawned on my face.

But I'm okay now, don't worry.

"I see. I'm glad, then." Haniel softly remarked.