Chapter 51. The Fall of Leaves and Man

The earthy and vibrant season of autumn was supposed to make you feel warm, but the nights were colder and darker. The season of mists and mellow fruitfulness, as some people describe it.

Dead leaves crunched beneath my feet with every step I took. The night is young, so there are still many people gracing the streets of Muehler.

Unlike the peace and serenity of the outdoors at night, the Solstice tavern was full of life, though.

"Kallen!" Ashen, the owner of the tavern, greeted me amicably. "Sheesh, about time you dropped by! I thought you had died in a shithole somewhere."

I went to my usual space. "Well, I'm still alive."

"And that makes me happy!" The ginger winked at me like the wanton man he is. "The usual order?"

"Yes." I replied coldly, ignoring his flirting attempts that have been going on forever.

Well, it's not like he was serious about liking me. Ashen is a whore who would chase after people as long as they wore a skirt. A total casanova, he is.

"Here, my love." He gracefully placed the mug of beer and a plate of chicken breasts on my table.

"Thanks." I eyed him indifferently. "Now, scram."

"Come on, don't be so cold!" He shamelessly sat in front of me. "Just because you're popular lately..."

"Am I?" I asked before chomping on my food.

"Hell yeah!" Ashen answered enthusiastically.

"I guess it's for all the wrong reasons, then."

The tavern owner chuckled at my words. "Yeah, but notoriety is still popularity. You know what they call you these days?" He said, suspenseful.

I blew a long sigh. "Don't say it."

"Executioner!" Ashen exclaimed comically, even raising his fists like a foolish boy picking a fight.

I smacked his head. "I told you not to say it!"

"Y-You don't like it?" The ginger pouted, caressing his head. "I've always wanted to have an alias."

I clicked my tongue. "Don't eject your childish fantasies on me, loser. Now my appetite's gone."

Despite my blatant irritation, Ashen seemed to be enjoying this. Well, he's a man oozing with charisma and a silver-tongued bastard at that.

"Now, don't kick me out just yet." Ashen wiggled his eyebrows. "In fact, I've got a job for you, my forever beautiful and sweet as honey Kallen."

I stared at him coldly. When he got no reaction from me, Ashen faked a cough then continued.

"You're usually picky when it comes to accepting requests, but I bet you'll like this one." He rubbed his hands in excitement. "The pay is damn good, and the person in question is scummy as fuck!"

My face scrunched up. He's so foul-mouthed.

Shortly, Ashen placed a photo on the table. It was a picture of a nobleman in his late forties. I knew nothing about high society, so I didn't know him.

"This is Baron Fletcher. Apparently, he's been raping his three daughters since childhood." Ashen smirked. "Well, ain't he scummy?"

I glanced over the photo with mild interest.

"See? I knew you'd like it. There's no one in Muehler who knows you better than I do."

The ginger spread his arms confidently.