Chapter 15. Whose Side?

Ruth Alessia di Camellia, in my own perception, was a living contradiction. I have said this before, but her overall appearance was calming to look at.

With her bluish white hair and cerulean eyes, she was like a being born from the sea and the skies.

But just as she was beautiful, Lady Camellia was also deadly like the sea that swallows ships and the skies that bring storms. She was dangerous.

"You also came from another world, didn't you?"

But this was a whole new level of dangerous.

In a span of mere seconds, my mind gave birth to a lot of questions. Is she a transmigrator like me? Does she know that this is the world of a novel?

Also. That word alone hints about the villainess being a transmigrator like I am. Since when did she start inhabiting the body of Lady Camellia?

Despite my qualms, I chose to be mendacious and played dumb. "I don't quite understand, my lady."

She's a notorious villainess. A lady with the beauty of an angel and the wits of a devil. I don't trust her words. There's no reason for me to admit being a transmigrator, so I should deny it for my safety.

"Mm, you dare lie to me?" Her eyes flickered with amusement. "Your face gives you away, though."

The fear must have been palpable on my face.

"Sure, play dumb all you want." Lady Camellia grinned knowingly. "But at this point, I'm rather convinced that you're a transmigrator like me."

She crossed her arms with an air of confidence.

"I do not remember any blondie hanging around Grand Duke Averill in the story. He's supposed to be a loner at this point of time." she pointed out.

I kept my eyes glued on the marbled floor.

"Moreover, it was you who were supposed to die at the night of the banquet." Lady Camellia said with emphasis. "However, a different girl was murdered and you seemed distraught about it. That means you knew about the future, too."

My fists clutched onto the hem of my dress.

"The only reason for a mere extra to act so out of character would be the presence of a transmigrator. You can't fool me, Isabelle."

I guess there's no point in denying it. No matter what I say now, it seems she's convinced by her own theory. I should come clean to avoid conflict.

"You're right." I lifted my gaze to her. "I did come from another world, my lady. What about you?"

The lady smiled. "I'm the same as you."

"If I may ask, how long have you been here?"

"Let's see," She smirked. "Seventeen years?"

My eyes widened at her answer. I don't know her exact age, but she doesn't look older than twenty. That means she spent her whole life in this world!

"Do you understand, Isabelle?" Lady Camellia got up from her seat. "I've been here my entire life, planning how to prevent the demise of this body."

I whimpered when she forcefully held my chin.

"You see, I'm desperate. That's why I designed an intricate plan to save my ass." Her nails dug onto my skin. "But an unknown variable like you might interfere with my plans if you keep doing as you please. So, tell me... Whose side will you be on?"

I wanted to beat the shit out of her, but I held back. Transmigrator or not, she's now the lady of the Camellia duchy. I'll be executed if I even scratch that pretty face of hers. I can't do that.