Chapter 37: Mr Carter

I was already finished with my first meeting and I was quite proud of the outcome. I strutted to my office with a big smile on my face. It was hard to admit but the simple fact that Hades and I were good, had changed my whole mood.

Were we good though?

I shrugged this question off, trying not to ruin the small happiness that I was feeling at the moment with all my overthinking. As I sat my ass down on the chair, the door burst open making my eyes widen at the sudden movement.

"I am so sorry for not knocking!" Oliver quickly apologised. "Mr Carter is here and wants to know if you would be available for a quick meeting" Oliver quickly said. I tilted my head slightly in confusion. I had no idea who Mr Carter was.

"I have the next hour free before the next meeting, yeah?" I asked. Oliver quickly nodded before shooting me an apologetic look. "Send him here in 15 minutes" I told Oliver as I opened my handbag to fish out a packet of chocolate biscuits.

"I apologise Luna. I know t-" he started but I quickly cut him off as I was here to work and meeting people was part of work.

"Oliver. Please tell me who the hell is Mr Carter" I joker while shaking my head. "I have no clue who he is and why are we doing business" I sighed. Oliver chuckled then nodded his head hastily before rushing to take the seat that was opposite mine.

"Okay. We have fifteen minutes to give you a quick brief" he said as he pushed his glasses over the bridge of his nose. He opened the file with such an excitement that I couldn't help but chuckle. I stuffed a biscuit in my mouth, not caring at all about how unladylike I looked.

I was hungry.

"Mr Elijah Carter is one of the fastest rising men in the last two years" Oliver started, completely ignoring the mess that I was making. I was grateful for that. "He has been reaching out to Jenkins company, a.k.a, us, seeking our marketing advices when it comes to advertisement" he continued.

"Just advices?" I enquired with a frown.

"Advices which can lead to him seeking our services too" Oliver quickly explained.

"So he is a potential client?" I assumed. He nodded while ruffling through the files.

"A potential client that might be willing to invest a lot" he emphasised. I nodded, properly absorbing everything that he is telling me. Investing a lot means that it might be a big contract for our company.

I needed to get Mr Carter to sign with us.

"Okay. Anything else that I might need to know?" I asked.

"No. Just keep in mind that this is a huge contract" Oliver said then quickly offered me a small smile. "No pressure" he added, fixing his glasses again.

"I will quickly go through the files. You can send him in, in ten minutes. I need to finish my biscuits. I'm starving" i told him honestly. Oliver chuckled in response.

"I assume you missed breakfast" he said while shaking his head. "You know it's not good for you to miss your breakfast" he continued. "Especially with the baby on the way" he finished. I nodded in agreement as he placed the files in front of me. He waved me goodbye then walked out of the office.

As I opened the files and went through each paper, I learnt that Mr Carter had a chain of nightclubs and restaurants. I rose my eyebrows as I was quite impressed by how quick this man seemed to have actually rise in the economical society.

Self-made man.

After a few minutes, the phone on my desk rang and I could see Oliver's last name pop up on the screen. I quickly opened the drawer on my left and placed my packet of biscuits in there. I answered the call which automatically went on loudspeaker.

"Should I send him in?" He asked politely.

"Yes. I'm done eating" I said cheerfully.

I wiped my face and picked up my phone to look at my reflection in the mirror. I had to make sure that I was not going to attend a meeting with little crumbles of biscuits attached to the corner of my mouth.

All clean.

A small knock was heard and soon the door opened. Oliver walked in then moved on the side to let Mr Carter walk in. As soon as my eyes drifted from Oliver to the self-made Mr Carter, they widened in surprise. Oliver never mentioned that Elijah Carter was that young. My eyes instinctively scanned the man.

Elijah Carter was wearing a navy suit. His black hair was perfectly gelled to give him a clean look. His dark beard made him look a few years older and added a sense of wiseness to his character. His hazel eyes was scanning me as well. He had only one black file in his hand. As he walked in my office, I could instantly feel the power that he held. Oliver walked out of the office after offering me an encouraging smile.

"Good morning, Mr Carter" I greeted with a warm smile as I motioned him to take a seat. "Please do take a seat. My name is Luna Jenkins" I introduced myself, keeping that same warm and professional tone. He walked closer to the desk, his eyes not leaving me once. He placed his hand in front of me and I, without any hesitation shook it firmly.

"Elijah Carter. It's a pleasure to finally meet a Jenkins. Definitely not the one that I was expecting but I cannot complain" he said in such a monotone way. His voice was deep and slow. His voice seemed to be caressing the words as he spoke. I gulped but I didn't alter my posture.

"I assume that you were expecting my mother" I started as he sat down. I sat down as well, my eyes glued on him as I spoke. "I have taken over the business for the moment. I do hope that I will be able to provide you the same advice that my mother would" I continued.

"I have heard a lot of good things about you, Miss Jenkins" Mr Carter said as he rested his back against the chair. I could see a few tattoos peaking through his shirt and his sleeves. "But the thing is, are you good enough for what I am going to need?" He questioned out loud. My smile slowly faded away as a frown replaced it.

"I know my abilities, Mr Carter" I said with confidence. One of his eyebrows rose in surprise but he quickly squinted his eyes and tried to look unfazed again.

"I don't doubt that, Miss Jenkins" Mr Carter said. "But knowing your current situation, I do know that unfortunately you will not be available in the coming months" he continued, not breaking eye contact at all as he spoke. "I require someone who will be able to be present for constant monitoring and feedbacks" he said. I blinked a few times, completely understanding his situation. Some clients would rather have only one person dealing with their marketing strategies and implementing rather than having different people. Most of the times, the company's affected by the change.

I never knew that being pregnant would have actually affected my work life.

Not that I mind.

"You make perfect sense, Mr Carter and I do appreciate you sharing your concern with such honesty" I told him while wearing my smile back. "If you do want to work with us, I can also refer one of our best executives to you. His name is Julien. I can schedule a meeting for you" I continued.

"I would really appreciate that" Mr Carter said. Not once did he smile during this whole conversation. "I do hope that you didn't take any offence in my words" he then added as he stood up. I stood up as well, shook his head and my head as well.

"None taken. I really appreciate you being honest" I admitted.

"Honesty is the best policy, isn't it?" Mr Carter questioned. I swear I could see amusement glimmering in his eyes. "It was a pleasure to meet you, Miss Jenkins" he said.

"Please call me Luna" I said politely.

"Luna" he greeted one last time before walking out of the office. As soon as the door closed, I sat back on my chair, my mind trying to recap that five minutes meeting that I have just had with Mr Carter. The phone on my desk rang, breaking me from my trail of thoughts. I absentmindedly answered only to hear Oliver's voice on the other side.

"Mr Reigns is here to meet you" he announced.