Maybe (Enid)

Enid smacked her forehead as soon as Wednesday left. 

"Keep calm, Enid." She told herself. She had no idea why this was harder than Nevermore. Maybe it was because she'd been alone for the past few weeks, since her family was always busy.  But seriously, she needed to get it together. 

But she couldn't stop thinking about how Wednesday had let them hug (not just once, but twice) and how she'd cleaned up the guest room so Enid would be more comfortable. It just didn't really seem a lot like something Wednesday would have done. But who was Enid to argue? She liked this newer version of Wednesday. And she had been slowly getting nicer as the Nevermore school year moved along, so maybe she'd get even more warm. 

Enid couldn't help but wonder if Wednesday was being nicer to her and not to anyone else. 

Since she didn't really have that much to unpack, Enid used most of her time to calm down. Was it possible for her crush to have gotten bigger since that terrorizing night at Nevermore? Evidently, it was possible. Because when Wednesday came back telling Enid that dinner was ready, Enid's heart just completely forgot everything about calming down and started pounding. 

She had completely forgotten about meals, and apparently Wednesday's family all ate at the same time. Enid's family did too, but only occasionally. So Enid followed Wednesday to the dinning room. 

"This is Lurch." Wednesday said as they entered the room, gesturing to the guy who had driven Enid. So that was his name. 

"Hi." Enid said. 

He nodded and gave a smile. Enid smiled back, glad she could see someone else smile for a week. She guessed Wednesday might not offer a lot of them. 

"He doubles as our cook." Wednesday told her. "Since we normally eat things you consider gross, Lurch also made a separate meal for you. Steak." 

"Really? You're being uncharacteristically nice." Enid asked.

Wednesday looked at Enid. "More like merciful. Would you rather eat squid and casu marzu?"

Enid gulped and eyed Wednesday's plate. "Yeah, thanks for saving my life." 

"Your life is saved." Wednesday deadpanned. Damn, she was so hot when she deadpanned. Enid fidgeted as she sat to eat. 

"So, what's your plan to stop that stalker?" Enid asked, for once glad that Wednesday had bigger problems to worry about. 

"I don't have one." 

"Really?" Enid asked, surprised. 

Wednesday looked up from her casu marzu. "So far, I haven't been able to find a mistake the stalker has made. I don't think the stalker has made a mistake. But they will. And I'll be ready." 

"That's it?" Enid asked. "You're just going to patiently wait around until your stalker makes a mistake?" 

"I'm fresh out of other ideas." Wednesday said. "Why do you think my family invited you over? They think I need something else to do. My mother said I was getting detached." 

"When are you not detached?" Enid said jokingly. 

Wednesday raised an eyebrow. "Apparently I haven't beheaded anything in a while."  

"Ah." Enid replied, not really sure how to respond. She already felt a little awkward just coming into Wednesday's house and now she was learning more about her almost every minute. 

"Um, have you been playing your cello much?" Enid finally asked after taking a particularly large bite of her steak. 

"Not as much as I was at Nevermore. We don't have a big roof to play on top of here." 

"Where do you play?" Enid asked. 

"I play on the next hill over. That way I'm practically right above our family's graveyard. It's perfect for In the Hall of the Mountain King." 

"Can I hear you?" Enid asked before she could stop herself. But she was dying to hear another one of Wednesday's cello solos. She regretted ever telling Wednesday it was annoying. 

"Tonight?" Wednesday seemed to have a hint of surprise and nervousness on her face and Enid regretted asking too. But then she said, "Okay." 

So, after about ten more minutes of tedious casual conversation (at least, that's what it felt like to Enid), Enid found herself following Wednesday to the hill. She could see the cemetery bellow them. It was creepy, but what isn't creepy when you're at the Addams' house? 

It only grew more eerie when the sun set surprisingly fast as Wednesday prepared her cello. 

But it was very worth it when Wednesday started to play. Her fingers danced along the strings and her bow moved fast and smooth. Deep, unsettling notes sang out into the dark. Suddenly it was as if the air was alive. Though creepy, it was playful. It's own kind of fun. The cemetery bellow no longer threatening.

Enid found herself staring at Wednesday, whose eyes were intense and focused on the page of music and head dipping in unison with the notes. She and the music seemed to be one being, a majestic creature that roamed at night, scary yet protective. Then Enid was staring at Wednesday's lips, which were pressed tight in effort and concentration. 

But it was over too soon. Enid wasn't even sure what song she'd just listened to. 

"That was amazing, Wednesday." Enid said, sure that those words didn't cover it. But what else was she going to say? "Hey Wednesday, I'm a lesbian and I have a huge crush on you."? No, Enid would just have to wait for either the right time to tell or wait until she no longer felt lesbian (which she didn't think would happen).

 But Enid wasn't sure how much longer she could hide it.