Play Pretend (Enid)

"What?!" Enid exclaimed, upset. "Why didn't you tell me this?"

"I already had it under control." Wednesday replied. Enid huffed. Wednesday had held back from her important information about the stalker. Dorian was Xavier's brother, and Wednesday purposefully left out that fact? The fact that she only told Enid about it after making sure didn't help her case. Enid was still angry. 

"Still, Wednesday!" Enid said. "I can't believe you didn't tell me! I could have helped. Or, you know, you could have told me anyway. I thought we were friends, and friends are always truthful to one another."

"Really?" Wednesday snapped back. "You seem to be getting antagonized over a simple detail that I delayed telling you until I knew Dorian actually was Xavier's brother."

"Well I have a right to be antagonistic over this. You're still prioritizing the wrong things. The stalker also happens to be spying on me too and you are leaving out important details about him that I should know."

"You only would have become emotional the moment I would have told you. If Dorian had turned out not to be Xavier's brother, you would have gotten worked up over a lie." 

"And you're an expert on emotion?" Enid sucked in a breath as Wednesday stared at her. She had gone a bit too far. "Sorry, I know you've been doing better at remembering other people, but your not really great at understanding what they're feeling."

"No, you're right," Wednesday admitted. "I have never been a good judge of emotion, but I do know you a good amount and I decided on what I thought would be the best way to go about the investigation."

"It's not your choice to make, though." The Enid replied. "It's both of ours. You never talk over things with other people. Either you ignore something, or you keep it a secret."

"It is the way I am." Wednesday defended herself. "I'm not going to apologize for making my own decisions."

"Except they're not your decisions when they affect other people." Enid pointed out. 

Wednesday glared. "I kept my secrets and made my own decisions at Nevermore and we resolved everything, didn't we?" 

"You can't expect that to work every time."

"It's worked all my life." 

Enid frowned and suppressed an urge to growl. What would it take to get her point into Wednesday's stubborn head? A saw? In the back of her mind, she thought about how this fight was a lot like the one they'd had at Nevermore when they had pointed out each others' annoying habits. Then Enid had returned anyway after Thing was stabbed. 

She'd heard from Thing that Wednesday had actually cried. So, as much as Wednesday pretended not to care, she secretly did.

"And so your just going to ignore what I said about liking you and never talk about it?" Enid finally said. "I'm sure that's a perfect way to go through life. Playing pretend like some things didn't happen or that they were unimportant." 

Wednesday looked like she was startled. Then she spoke after a few seconds. "I'm thinking about it. I've never exactly had a friend admit a long-time crush on me and then suddenly being sent pictures from a stalker on the same thread."

"You're thinking about it?" Enid said, disbelieving. Her brain then ignored her commands for it to calm down and started fantasizing about Wednesday telling her she liked her back. 

"Don't start." Wednesday ordered. "Don't read into it more than you should. I just have a lot to think about."

"So you're in love with Xavier?" Enid ventured. 

"No." Wednesday answered. "And we're done with this conversation. We have to meet with Dorian. I believe I may be able to figure out why he's targeting me."

"Fine." Enid agreed. Wow, that was fast. How are they all of a sudden not arguing anymore? "But what about Tyler? Don't you think he'll be hunting us?" 

"No doubt about it. But moving around should throw him off our trail and we need to face Dorian anyway."

"Right." Enid nodded and blinked. Starting to get up from where she was sitting on Wednesday's bed, she thought of Wednesday's comment. "I'm thinking about it."  

Was Wednesday Addams really turning that soft?

But then she was startled back as the door flew open. 

- - -

Remember everyone: Votes + Follows = More support for writers. Not only for me, but for other writers as well. 

Shoutout to @SheHopes for inspiring me. Wonderful writer right there. The Dream series is the best.

Thanks, and have a great day!

-VictoryGreen8