Couldn't Hold it in Anymore (Enid)

Enid was so mad at herself. Why, why did she do that? From the appalled look on Wednesday's face, that probably meant that she'd had no idea about Enid's crush. Enid could have just let it be and not told. Now it was too late. Wednesday would probably find it best to send Enid back home so she wouldn't be distracted. The sad thing was that Enid hadn't even been there for a whole day yet. What was wrong with her?

"Why?" Enid asked herself aloud. "Ugghh you're such a stupid wolf." 

A ding on her phone kept Enid from repeating it again. Just the distraction she needed. Texting Yoko back about a new margarita flavor, Enid noticed another text that she'd missed a couple minutes ago. An unknown contact had sent a photo.

Enid panicked. The photo was from when Enid had admitted her crush only five minutes ago. It showed Wednesday staring at Enid as Enid nervously blurted out her words. Enid wasn't sure what to do. She felt itchy and uncomfortable, her hair on the back of her neck standing up. Like someone was watching. How was Wednesday so okay with this? 

What was she gonna do? She had just probably made the biggest social mistake in her life with Wednesday minutes before so she guessed Wednesday didn't want Enid talking to her. But seriously, she was starting to be stalked too. She turned and shut the curtains, unnerved, and almost screamed when she turned around to see Wednesday appear out of nowhere. 

Enid cleared her throat. She started to say something, but Wednesday held up her phone first. 

They were both being texted photos on the same chat now.

"I think we need to put aside all emotions and focus on this problem." Wednesday said, staying true to her words and giving off no emotion. Enid felt a pant of disappointment, but nodded. 

"Yeah." She agreed, even though her insides were screaming "No, we need to know how Wednesday feels or this will all be for nothing!"

"We need to know what position this photo was taken from." She walked to the window and pointed. "That was where we were. We need to go." She left without another word. 

"Okay." Enid said to herself, then followed Wednesday. She was internally cursing herself, because how could she ever do this to herself. Why couldn't she just be straight and go back to kissing Ajax? Because of Wednesday. Maybe she should distance herself from Wednesday. But now they were both being texted pictures, so they had to do this together. 

That reminded Enid that she should probably text someone, like her dad, telling them about being texted pictures from a stalker. But for some reason the thought of doing that made her uncomfortable. Besides, knowing Wednesday, the stalker would probably be discovered by the end of the week. She hoped. 

But then they reached the spot they had been in in the pictures and realized that the stalker would have had to be inside the hill to have taken the pictures.

"How is that possible?" Enid asked, now not sure how they were going to proceed. 

"I don't know." Wednesday admitted. "But I noticed the same thing about the pictures I've been sent. And the threats are all computer animated." 

"Can I see your phone?" Enid asked. Wednesday nodded and handed it to her. Enid pulled up the texts from the unknown contact and scrolled to the first animated threat. A dagger going into the head of an animated Wednesday. 

"I think I have a way to find out who this stalker is." Enid said, surprised by how simple it was. "But we should go inside though, just in case they're watching." She felt shivers run up her spine just thinking about it. 

They returned to the house and went to Enid's room. She made sure to shut the curtains. 

"Okay, watch this." Enid pulled up the inspect option for the threat and clicked it. She found the source code and followed it in another tab. She was blocked, but bypassed it by using an old trick she'd learned from being at her previous school (before she was old enough for Nevermore). Wednesday watched, her face blank. Enid couldn't tell if she was impressed or not. 

"Here." Enid said, triumphant. She had reached to animator's account and found the IP address. 

"What is this?" Wednesday asked. Right. This was her first piece of technology, so she didn't know what an IP address was. 

"It's the stalker's tracking number." Enid answered. "We can find out who it is based off of the number that's tied to their online presence. The only thing is... I don't know how to do it." 

"So what now?" Wednesday asked. The solemn way she was staring made Enid's heart start pounding again. 

"Um, there's Google." Enid replied. She almost sighed in relief when she found that Safari was already installed on Wednesday's phone. That way they could stay signed out. 

How to find out whose IP address? Enid typed. She searched and after a couple minutes, found a YouTube video. But then Enid's phone dinged and she saw another photo pull up on her screen. It was them. Just now. 

"How?" Enid asked. "There's no way anyone could have taken a photo. The curtains are down. The door's shut!" 

Wednesday stood. "You finish tracking the IP address.  But we need to get Nathaniel Faulkner's Diary."

"Why?" 

"Because this might be an outcast." Wednesday explained. "How else could you explain it?There's no secret door in this room. I've been over it hundreds of times. And I haven't read anything anywhere else about an outcast who could do this. If there's anything, it's in the diary." 

"But it was never recovered after Miss Thornhill took it." Enid pointed out. 

"I hid it away from prying eyes." Wednesday answered. "Before I left. It's at Nevermore."

Enid kept her mouth from dropping open. Why was she surprised? 

Wednesday's mouth twitched, almost smiling. "We're taking a trip to Nevermore."

- - -

Author's note:

Btw, follows and votes are welcome! They do more to motivate me and help me write. Thx! 

Hope you all have a wonderful week!

-VictoryGreen8