Nevermore (Wednesday)

Lurch dropped them off at Jericho the next morning. Enid wasn't able to finish whatever she was doing on Wednesday's phone, so they had no clues— yet.

Wednesday combed through her memories. After Laurel and Tyler had been taken care of, she had discovered the diary in Laurel's greenhouse. She's hidden it in her dorm, inside the wall behind a loose board she'd found. She felt it wasn't secure when in other peoples hands, and it would have been discovered among her belongings if she tried to bring it home. 

She wished she could have done the same with Goody's Book of Shadows, but that was taken by the police and locked away. The school had shut down before she could try to steal it back. She was going to tell Enid they were going to get that too, but decided against it. She would tell her when the time came.

But then there was the matter of Enid's romantic interest. Wednesday still didn't now how to feel, or what to do. Enid seemed to think Wednesday would prefer Enid going back to her home, but it wasn't the best solution. To be honest, Wednesday liked having Enid around. She'd already given Wednesday a lead in her endeavor and a minuscule part of Wednesday admitted that Enid was pretty good company. She respected Wednesday's personality and interests. 

She thought back to Laurel's words about how Enid had brought out a spark a warmth in her. "Oh, don't worry," she'd said. "Just a tiny spark. But... I saw." Wednesday wondered if that was true or just something Laurel had said to keep up appearances. 

Though now Enid was basically silent. Wednesday still hadn't given her a clear answer yet. Normally talkative, Enid just walked through Jericho alongside Wednesday, probably in some tension. It was almost unsettling— Enid not talking. An bad kind of unsettling. It made Wednesday worry— and that was something she did very rarely. 

She shoved her thoughts aside when they neared Nevermore. She had to stop distracting herself. They broke into the empty building easily, finding the door unlocked. Upon further study, Wednesday realized that the lock was so old it couldn't lock. 

"Do you think we'll get arrested?" Enid asked nervously as they opened the door. 

"Sheriff Galpin still owes me for everything. Even if we get caught, we won't be arrested." Wednesday answered. "Besides, we've done this before."

"The Gate's house didn't count." Enid answered. "We we're doing it for your birthday, and it was in the middle of nowhere and we thought no one was living in it."

"Even so, that escapade was certainly more dangerous. This is child's play."

"Yeah." Enid agreed quietly. "You'd lost your snood." 

And Tyler just played more of his games. Wednesday reminded herself. Yet another thing he'd done to gain her trust and create an alibi. 

They reached their old dorm. As Wednesday reached for the doorknob, she heard Enid whisper something to herself. Creaking open the door, Wednesday saw the divided lighting. One side colorful, one side not. She let herself in and removed the boards to reveal her hidden compartment. 

Her eyes widened. 

"It's empty?" Enid asked, behind Wednesday. "Are you sure you put it there?" 

Wednesday nodded, a bit shocked. How could anyone have known it was there? Her memory had always been impeccable, so she was sure she put it there. 

"I know I put it here." Wednesday Insisted. "Someone took it." 

"Did the dorms go through inspections when we leave?" Enid said. 

"Yes," Wednesday replied. "But they don't dig this deep."

"Well, we might as well leave." Enid said, sighing. "There's nothing else." 

 "I'm going to keep looking. You can go and wait with Lurch if you want." 

Enid swallowed, but she left. "Good luck."

Just after Enid went out the door, Wednesday heard a loud pop and quickly turned. 

"Hello, Wednesday."

Hey guys, how you doing? If you like this story, make sure to vote and follow me! The next chapter is sure to come out soon!

-VictoryGreen8