Over and Up (Wednesday)

Wednesday opened her eyes. She was in the hospital. Everything was such a bright white. And she was sore. Especially where the bullet had hit her.

"Wednesday!" Enid said from the side of her bed. "How are you feeling?"

"Sore." Wednesday answered. "But I'm alive. You saved me. Again." 

Enid blushed. "Well, don't keep almost dying and I won't have to." 

Wednesday reached over and pulled Enid in to kiss, even though her movements were very restricted by the cast around her middle.

"You just can't seem to get rid of scars on your face." Wednesday commented, studying her. Enid looked like she'd cleaned up very recently. Her hair was still damp and she looked tired. Wednesday wondered if she'd stayed by her side the whole time she'd been there.

"Weird, right?" 

"How long was I out?" 

"About a week." Enid answered. "We weren't sure if you would live or not. The blood supply that they pumped in to you ran out before they reached normal levels. It was another two days until the rest could get here. It is a little town, after all."

"Good thing I don't need regular amounts of blood." Wednesday said.

The door swung open. "Oh, our little viper! You're awake!" Wednesday heard her father say as her family crowded in. 

"We we're so worried about you." Her dad said. 

"I'm fine." Wednesday insisted. She squirmed as the three of them gave her hugs. She felt Enid grab her hand and she decided that was okay. She'd almost died, after all.

"Oh, I knew it!" Her mother breathed when she saw and Wednesday turned to her. 

"Knew what?" 

"You two are perfect. I just knew there was a reason why you spoke differently about Enid. Just like us at first." She smiled at her husband and he kissed her hand.

"Mother, you set this up?" Wednesday asked, staring at them.

"We thought it would be good for you to have company." Her father interrupted. "We didn't know what would happen."

Wednesday glared at Pugsley as he smiled snuggly at her. 

"If my mom knew what would happen she'd never have let me come." Enid said. Wednesday looked at her. 

"How is that going?" She asked. "I can threaten her agai—"

"No, that's okay." Enid said quickly. "We just need a little break. My dad's gonna talk to her and your parents already said I could stay at your house for a while. If that's okay with you."

"Right. That's fine." Wednesday replied. 

"Next time something like this happens, remember to pack your crystal ball!" Wednesday's mom reminded her. Wednesday nodded. 

"What happened with the warrant for my arrest?" Wednesday asked. "Do I have to officially be arrested after this, or—"

"You know Christina's bag?" Enid said. "In there was the original evidence of Dorian blackmailing people. It didn't take long for the police to find that the "evidence" they found on you was just really expertly faked. So yay, you're free!"

"It's over." Wednesday said. She wasn't sure how she felt about it. Mostly relieved, of course, but she also felt a sense of impending boredom. Like now that she didn't have any other mysteries to solve she would spiral into a hole of nothingness. Tyler didn't really count anymore because he was officially a wanted person, and hadn't showed up anywhere. He was probably laying low. So he didn't really pose a threat right now.

At least she had Enid. And her family. Nevermore would be opening up in no time and another school year would start. 

She drifted into a sense of satisfaction (which wasn't very pleasant) as her parents left with Pugsley to do some paperwork for her release. Which left her alone with Enid. She wasn't sure how to display gratitude, but she did her best. And she wasn't the best at it.

It was over.

- - -

FYI: Not Over.

But aren't you glad I decided to be nice and let Wednesday live?

Please follow, vote, and share!

-VictoryGreen8