What the Heck (Wednesday)

What the heck. Wednesday had already given in to playing her cello, so why not go with Enid to show her the cemetery. 

That last night, after Wednesday had finished playing her cello, Enid asked if she could see the cemetery the next morning. Wednesday was surprised, since Enid usually wanted to stay away from cemeteries.  But she agreed anyway. Again: what the heck. She had no other ridiculously useless way to spend her time. 

So here she was, giving Enid a tour of her family's graves. 

"Did they really get their heads cut off?" Enid was asking. 

"Of course." Wednesday answered. "It's actually note that bad of a way to go."

"Speak for yourself." Enid replied, making a face. 

They moved on, Wednesday explaining whose grave it was and how they'd died. Enid was unsettled, but Wednesday didn't ask if she wanted to keep going. Enid had wanted this; she might as well finish. 

So they finished.

On the way back, Enid asked, "You said you finished your book right?" 

"Yes, I did." Wednesday replied. "And I also told you that I haven't gone to a publisher yet." 

"Why haven't you?" 

Wednesday pondered the question. "It hasn't felt like the right time." 

"We'll, can I read it?" 

Wednesday stared at Enid. "You?" 

"Who else?" Enid said, holding up a hand in defense. "What else have we got to do anyway?" 

"It's just that I can't really picture you reading it. You hate scares and blood." 

"Yeah, you're right." Enid sighed. She paused and then took a sharp breath. "Okay you may hate me after this and that's fine but I can't keep it a secret anymore cause you are so hot and beautiful and I'm lesbian and I have a huge crush on you." 

Wednesday stopped walking. Enid had a crush on her? On second thought, it made a lot of sense. But, Enid had a crush on her? It was so unexpected, so out of the blue, that Wednesday let out a single laugh. "You'll get over it."

"Get over being lesbian?" 

"No, that's not what I meant. I'm fine with that part." Wednesday said, a little unsettled because her heart was beating abnormally fast. Something it hadn't really done before unless she was in a lot of imminent danger. "I don't get how anyone could ever have a crush on me."

Enid shook her head, obviously very nervous. Her nails had grown sharp and long. She was practically panting. "But I do, Wednesday. I think your perfect and hot and I know that I get so happy and nervous when I'm with you. What do you call that?" 

"A fleeting feeling. A hoax." Wednesday didn't like what she was feeling. Some sort of mixture of nervousness, rejection, and something else she couldn't explain. "Just like it was with Tyler. It wasn't real."

"But it's not fleeting, I've had a crush on you since I first met you!"

"Even though I gave off serial killer vibes?" 

"Yes!" Enid said. Then she sighed, looking defeated. "Whatever. You don't have to say anything else. Just... let me know if you want me to leave." Then she walked ahead, leaving Wednesday to think about what she'd just heard. 

Wednesday stood for a while, conflicted about what to do next. Tell Enid it was fine but tell her to try to ignore it for the rest of the week? That didn't really seem right. Not that Wednesday was an expert on "right".  Then there was that other feeling that she felt, that she wasn't sure what it was. A stirring, almost. Just the tiniest bit. 

Wednesday didn't like it. She was feeling to much, to many conflicting emotions when she was used to feeling only one or two. So she walked inside, going past Enid's closed door on the way to her own room. 

Wednesday found Enid's snood, the one she'd made to match Wednesday's, across from the door. It seemed like Enid had thrown it out her door. Wednesday reached to pick it up. 

Suddenly, she found herself looking through Enid's eyes. How perfect. She was having a vision. 

She saw herself playing the cello, wrapped up in the music. She saw her intense stare looking back at her. Then she saw Enid and Ajax kissing, but there was something off. Enid pulled away, and muttered something. Then Enid was frowning, then telling Ajax she wanted to break up. 

"Why?" 

"I'm just not feeling it anymore." Enid replied. "I think we should take a break for a while." 

Then Wednesday was thrown back into the present, neck hurting from the violent movement. Her mind even more conflicted as before, she let go of the snood and entered her room. 

She wasn't even sure what she wanted anymore.

- - -

Author's note:

Not exactly sure if I'm doing a decent job at staying within the characters' personalities, but I ship Wednesday and Enid hard. I couldn't drag it out any longer.

If you like the story, please vote and/or comment and/or follow me!

-VictoryGreen8