Chapter VI - The Lovers

The school suspended classes for the rest of the week.

I lie on my bed as I replay Touma's scream over and over again. What happened? Why did he scream? I repeat these questions in my head, though we all know the answer.

I stay motionless in my bed, horrified and staring at my ceiling. I need to tell my friends about this.

I run to my desk, almost rolling off my balance with my wheeled chair, and log in to our chat.

 Seems like my friends already caught up with the news.

"What . . . the fuck."

We all stay silent after I play the video on my camcorder. Both the day before and after the attack.

We were in Molly's room, all bunched up together crowded around my camera. Her room had a yellow hue with owl wallpaper, a white bed frame with a lilac mesh curtain drooping over it, posters of her favorite bands plastered on the wall, firefly lights hanging from the ceiling, and the scent of roses.

"That was horrible . . ." Ollie gulped, hand was on my thigh.

Molly rubbed her temples. "So to get this straight, you followed TBB inside the Library where Pandora and Seth fucking assaulted him and locked him in there, and the next day he's just . . . dead?"

I reach for her wooden desk and knock on it. 

"Not dead." I pause. "At least not confirmed . . ."

Innes blows her black hair out her face. "Sounds shady."

"No shit, Sherlock." Molly groans. "Pandora and Seth are in deep shit."

"Let's show this tape to the police." Ollie suggests, still not noticing how his hand is on my thigh. Oh my God.

I turn bright red, my heart pounding faster.

"Then what?" Innes bites her ruined nails. Her voice became shaky. "We make things worse-"

"Things are already worse." Molly interrupts, unimpressed.

"-we make Seth and Pandora hate us-"

"They already hate us."

"-we make the school go into chaos-"

"It's already in chaos."

"-people would turn on us for being a snitch-"

"A hero for a crime actually."

"Molly!" She stands up, clearly annoyed. "Shut the fuck up! Shut the fuck up!!!" There was a rasp in her voice.

Molly rolls her eyes, her lashes dolling.

Ollie looks at me, just inches from my face. "Stephan." He gently sighs as he puts his hand on my forehead, his fingers brushing my brown hair. My eyes locked on him. "Are you okay? You're burning up . . . again." His voice was lovely and caring, making my heart flutter.

"God," Molly says. "He's always burning up."

". . ." My wide eyes just marvel at him, admiring his beauty. His soft rosy cheeks, and dreamy eyes. 

Maybe, just maybe, this is more than a normal crush.

Ollie just beams at me. His smile warmed my body. Maybe even melting it. "I like it when he burns up." He looks at my lips. "He looks cute."

I get too flustered, the back of my hair sticking up, and I cover my face with my hands. My heart is beating out of my chest at this point. I don't believe when people hear their heartbeat in their ears, but . . . now I do. I really do.

"Hello???" Molly waves her hand in front of our faces, annoyed. "Someone might be dead and y'all are out here being all lovey-dovey to each other? The fuck?"

"Let's just keep it to ourselves." Innes interrupts, her tooth gap sticking out with every word. "Let's not make things worse."

"Fine." Molly crosses her arms. "But if things get bad, we hand them over. Period."

***

Molly and I are alone in her room while Innes and Ollie went out to fetch food for us.

The room was awkward. Molly reading "Lolita", whatever that is, and me sat down on the floor, looking around and trying to look casual.

"My brother's taken a liking to you." She says, her eyes not leaving her book.

My head jerks up at her. She looks bored, like what she just said had no meaning whatsoever.

I awkwardly chuckle. "Like platonic . . . right?"

She flips a page. "Something like that."

Ollie and Innes bust open the door, In-And-Out in their hands.

"Here we are!" Ollie drops the food on the ground and sits next to me.

"Fucking finally." Molly throws her book away and sits cross-cross on the floor. "I'm starving." And she finishes half her burger in one bite. "You didn't get Innes anything?" She says through a mouth full.

"I'm not hungry." She sat down, her brittle limbs pushing a popping sound.

". . .Are you sure?" I ask. Many of the things that didn't sit right with me about Innesa Alexeev is how she never eats. She never eats anything but candy. Last Halloween, she inhaled all her candy in one go.

"Yeah."

***

We finish our food and talk about what to do, now that our boarding school has fallen into a hole of mystery.

"Let's sneak into the Library!" Molly exclaims, her eyes twinkling with persistence.

"What?" Shock spills over me. "Us . . . sneaking into the Library?!? No! Especially when there was a body there!!!"

Molly groans in annoyance. "Ughhh. You're no fun."

I tilt my head in disbelief, my brown skin creasing. "That is not true. I'm lot's of fun. Just not if there's a murder involved."

"He's right." Finally, at least Innes is on my side. "I don't wanna get arrested."

"For what?" Molly raises a brow.

Ollie suddenly exclaims like a pirate, clasping his hands in a clap. "Let's do it! Let's break into the Library!"

Innes shakes her head in agitation. "Ugh. No."

"Come on!" Molly holds her hands. "While it's still legal! We are sixteen after all!"

"I'm fourteen." Innes grumbles, like we were supposed to remember.

Molly smiles, overwhelmed with mischief and tricks. "Even better, my love."

"Bitch, what."

Molly's Chesire smile grows wider. "Just do it."

Innes crumbles and slumps over, pinching the bridge of her nose. "Jesus Christ."

So that's that. I guess we're breaking in. Me, The Blossom twins, and Innes. Great. What could go wrong? . . .

(HAHAHAHAHA THANK YOU FOR READING POOKIE ❤️😭)