Chapter XL - "A good heart."

Walking back to the brunch place was a chore. My mind was wandering in circles. Naomi Vegas was the one who bought the wretched fishing line and knife? He's the last person on my list. He's always on the end of his nerves. But the cashier said the guy who bought the knife was scared . . . Maybe Lavender was right. Maybe it really is Naomi.

"Stephan!" I looked to see Ollie, waving and running toward me. And when he did, he held my hand. "There you are."

"Here I am." And I kissed him.

I felt his lips in a smile as he giggled, closing his eyes. He gently pulled back and went on his tip-toes to peck the tip of my nose. I loved when he did that.

"Do you think they've forgotten about us?" He asks.

But I was still in a love trance. "Well . . . I sure hope so."

"What's in your hand?"

"A stain remover. For Innes."

"Cute." And he kisses me again.

***

Later, in my room, I called Pandora. Not for anything but for me and Lav's receipt dilemma. But she didn't think so.

'So you're dating Ollie now?!?' She yelled.

"Shh!" I quickly looked at my door and back, cupping the phone to my cheek. "My house is on one line!"

'Sorrryyy. But I don't give one flying shit.'

"Can we change the subject please?"

'No. So when you confessed to Ollie, you kissed him?!? When I specifically told you not to???'

"Well—"

'Then what? You guys made out by the fire side? Under the moonlight? In the middle of the forest?'

"Pandora! One line! My house is on one line!!!" I frantically check my door, hoping my ina wouldn't barge in.

'Was it steamy?'

"I'm sixteen!!!"

'I don't remember asking your age.''

"It was romantic! I'm stopping the topic on that!"

'You're hopeless, Paper Boy."

. . .

I take a deep breath, Lav's receipt clutched in my fist tight. "Pandora, I didn't call you to talk about . . . him. Do you, erm, know Lavender Schaff?"

She almost laughs. 'Seriously? He's the school's heartthrob.'

"No— I mean— Of course I know that. But do you, uh, really know him?"

'He's a senior, dumbass. I just know gossip about him.'

"Okay, so, uh, at prom, he gave me a receipt. It said someone bought a fishing line and a pocket knife." I shift in my seat. "Why else would someone need a fishing line and a pocket knife?"

She stays silent, static crackling on her end. Then, it finally clicks. 'Ohh . . . Ohh! Oh my God! Steph! Luka's attack! Oh my God! The fishing line was to pop his neck and the knife—'

"—Was for offense! Exactly!" I get up and almost cheer to the air. "And guess what!"

'What?!?'

"I went to the fishing shop and guess who I saw!"

'Who?!?'

"Lavender!"

'That sneaky bitch!'

"We were able to track down who bought the line and knife and it was—"

'Tell me!'

"Naomi Vegas!"

She gasps. 'No way. No effing' way!'

I almost gasped for air, out of breath. "Yes! The cashier said the guy who bought the line and knife w-was short, black hair, scared, and Chinese. But we all know he's Japanese."

'Yeah, Steph.' Pandora clicks her tongue. 'That's totally Naomi. So what do you want me to do? Spread a rumor about it?'

I almost fell from my bed. "N-no!"

'Then why did you call me???'

"Because—" I let out a big sigh, almost defeated. "Because I don't want to ruin me and Ollie's vibe!"

A pause.

'You've got to be kidding me.'

"Okay, listen! We just started dating and I want it to stay—"

'Let me guess. Romantic?'

I would've hung up in frustration. But instead, a soft, tired laugh took place. "Come on, Pandora. I called you because I don't know what to do."

'I do. Confront Naomi about it. Report it to the police. Hell, torment him about it.'

Torment him about it.

In a moment of quiet hesitation, I pondered the thought. If Naomi really is The Hazard, he only deserves it. " . . . How do we torment him?"

'Ah,' Pandora snickers almost as if she was just waiting for me to ask that. 'That's what I like to hear. What if we trash his dorm? What if we throw dead birds at his window? What if we mail him letters written in blood? What if—'

"Dorm!" I yell in such panic. What was Pandora even thinking?!? "I'll just— I'll just confront him in his dorm! Sus' mio! We're not even sure if he's a bad person."

'You think?'

" . . . "

'You've got a good heart, Steph. Just know when to use it, hm?'