4: How Progressive Of Them

BEING ESCORTED home by a police officer was not how Olivia thought her night would end. She suffocated in the back of the vehicle, squashed in-between her two brothers, just preparing herself for the moms' reaction. She wished she stayed home.

Laurel explained, "Officers, thank you, it won't happen again. I can promise you that much."

"Tell Mr Fisher, Chief wants to set up a teatime for when he's back in town." The officer remarked, as Olivia slouched next to Conrad on the couch, unable to stand up any longer.

"Absolutely." Laurel agreed, as she closed the door behind them, "Sorry again for all the trouble. Have a good night officers." She turned around to the group, "How could you guys be so irresponsible?"

"Mom, it's not a big deal." Steven explained, "The officers just wanted a reason to break up the Bonfire."

Laurel repeated, "Not a big deal? I would say getting picked up by the cops for underage drinking is a pretty big deal, Steven."

Via slurred, "It smells of weed."

"I know, they've been smoking." Steven replied knowingly, "Haven't you?"

"Will you keep your voice down?"
Laurel raised her voice, "Susannah's asleep on the couch."

Steven defended, "I wasn't shouting-"

Jere explained, "Just so you know, Laurel, I didn't drink tonight. I was the DD."

Laurel ignored him, as she looked at Conrad, "You're the oldest. What the hell's gotten into you?" She looked at Belly, "And when did you leave the house without telling anybody? What in the world are you wearing?"

"It's Taylor's." Belly replied, "And why am I the only one who's not allowed to go out?"

"It's not that you're not allowed, it's that you should've told us you were going." Laurel explained, "How did you even get there?"

Belly muttered, "I walked."

"Jesus." Laurel sighed, "You know better to walk down to the beach late at night!"

Belly scoffed, "Can you stop treating me like a kid!"

"If you wanna be treated like an adult, you need to act like one." Laurel snapped.

Conrad slurred, "Then maybe you should, too."

Laurel hesitated, "I hope you guys realise that this night could've ended a whole lot differently if your family wasn't your family."

Jere apologised, "We're sorry, Laurel."

"Just go to bed." Laurel sighed disappointedly, as the group dispersed.

Belly noticed that Via had stayed seated, so walked over to the girl. She helped her up the stairs, assisting her every step so she wouldn't fall. Via wrapped her arm around Belly's shoulder, leaning into her as a support for her body. The girls had made it to Belly's room, unable to make it to Via's bed without the girl collapsing.

Olivia laid on Belly's bed, her eyes shut tightly though she was still half awake. Belly stood at the end of the bed, untying Via's converse and pulling them off. She took off Olivia's dress, which was now stained with vomit, before dressing her into an oversized pyjama t-shirt. The girl wiped off Via's makeup, before grabbing a glass of water for her to drink.

"Hey, sit up." Belly spoke softly, "Drink this, okay? It'll make you feel much better."

Via groaned, "Thank you."

Belly tucked her into bed, before laying next to her. They both stared up at the ceiling, before Belly broke the silence, "What happened between you and Conrad?"

Via took a deep breath, "He was mad, uh, because I took his joint. But... I was also mad at him."

Belly looked at Via, "Why?"

Olivia hesitated, before turning her head on the pillow to look back at Belly. Butterflies swarmed her stomach, as she admired her. Via lowered her voice, "I saw the way he spoke to you. I was angry about it and-"

"You don't have to get into fights because of me, Ollie." Belly whispered with a slight smile, "I don't like seeing you get hurt."

"You're the one who got hurt." Via whispered, as she placed her finger tips on Belly's cheekbone which was bruising from when she fell. She sighed, "I'm sorry about that."

  ***

The next morning, Olivia awoke to a pounding headache, as excepted due to the amount of drinks she had. The girl opened her eyes, sunlight peeking through the blinds, as she rolled over to face Belly- though the girl was gone.

Olivia managed to make it downstairs, her feet shuffling on the cold floor. She could hear the laughs of Steven and Jeremiah from the kitchen, the distant voice of Laurel, and Conrad complaining. She brushed the hair out of her face, as she walked into the kitchen.

"Good morning." Jere greeted, as he passed a green smoothie to his sister, "Here. It cures all hangovers."

"Thanks." Via muttered, as she sat down on the kitchen stool next to Laurel, who was typing quickly on her laptop.

Belly had arrived soon after, causing Via to finally look up from the table. She was dressed and, clearly had already been out- though she still wore Cam's hoodie. She looked upset, which Via didn't fail to notice.

"Where've you been?" Laurel asked worriedly, "Is that a bruise?"

Belly replied, "I, uh, bumped into someone."

"It doesn't look that bad." Conrad added from the couch, as he buried his head in his hands. Via glared.

"Oh my God!" Susannah rushed into the kitchen, "Belly is gonna be a debutante!"

"It's really not that big of a deal." Belly giggled, as Susannah hugged her tightly.

"I'm sorry, Belly? Like, my sister?" Steven teased, "That thing right there?"

Belly snapped, "Shut up, cretin."

"This is going to be so much fun." Susannah explained, "There's the tea, then the auction, the ball, of course, the rehearsal." She gasped, "We need to go shopping!"

"Belly, are you sure you wanna do this?" Laurel asked, "It doesn't seem very you."

Conrad added, "It's not."

"Shut up!" Via blurted out, "Belly is fully capable of making her own decisions."

"Calm down, please." Susannah replied, before turning to Conrad, "Could you please be a bit more supportive?" She paused, "Now, which one of you is gonna be Belly's escort to the ball?"

"Not me." Conrad replied, "I went last year."

"Yeah, I swore off balls." Jere added, making Steven laugh, "Dances, dude!"

"Wow, guys. Don't all fight over me." Belly remarked sarcastically, "I'm not going with either of you. I'm going to find my own date."

Susannah questioned, "Via, what about you? Maybe you could go with Steven?"

The boy bursted out laughing, "I'm not going to a ball with Ollie."

Via looked down awkwardly, rolling her eyes, "It's fine, mom. I'll find my own date."

"Wikipedia says Debutante balls require instruction in morals and social etiquette." Laurel exclaimed, "No offence, Beck, but I don't feel like a country club is the best place to teach Belly about morals."

"Laur, times have changed." Susannah explained, "There's a girl debbing this season, and she's bringing her girlfriend as her escort, and the club is fine with it."

Laurel replied sarcastically, "How very progressive of them."