15: Lost

WITHOUT SUSANNAH, Olivia felt more lost than she had ever been. It felt as though a piece of her had died that day; she was never going to be the same person she was before. Olivia just felt so alone, she didn't even recognise herself anymore- it didn't help that she was dealing with her mother's death very unhealthily. Olivia didn't see any hope in her life anymore, there was no joy or happiness. She couldn't remember the last time she smiled, or laughed.

She was either high or drunk, pushing everybody that cared about her away- except Evie, who had managed to stay with her through it all. Evie Ramirez was the kind of friend who you could tell anything to, like absolutely anything, and she would still be by your side. The kind of friend you could trust with your whole life.

After Susannah's death, Evie had come back from Spain early to be there for Olivia. Only, when Evie had arrived, Via was already unrecognisable. She had started drinking and smoking pot regularly to get her through the days, especially as school was coming up. Via didn't know if she would make it...

A familiar knock came from outside the cubicle door, as Via opened the door, knowing exactly who it was.

She sat on the toilet seat lid, exhaling smoke from her joint before Evie removed it from in between her fingers. Evie reminded, "What was our deal? We're reducing the amounts of weed, remember?" Via could only roll her eyes, as Evie locked the door behind her. The girl questioned, like she did every day, "Have you eaten lunch?"

Via nodded tiredly, "Yeah."

Evie crouched down, so she was eye level with her friend, "I know you would rather be in here alone, but I think you should-"

"I'm fine with staying in the toilets, Evie." Via interrupted, slurring slightly from the amounts of pot she had smoked, "I don't wanna see anyone."

Evie sighed understandably, before asking, "Did you manage to go to any lessons today?"

Via breathed deeply before shaking her head in shame, "I tried, Evie, I really did. It's just so fucking... fucked." The girl worried, "I can't sit in a room with people who just pity me. They bring up... her all the time."

"Hey, I know." Evie comforted, placing her hands on Via's knees, "I know, and it's okay."

Evie took a deep breath, motioning for Via to copy. Olivia tried to smile, as she tucked her blonde hair behind her ear, "I'm gonna try and go to the school counsellor today. I feel like that would help."

Evie smiled softly, her voice so gentle in comparison to how she normally spoke, "I'm so proud of you. That's great."

***
[1 month ago]

Olivia sat on her bed, a highlighter in her mouth and another in her hand. She had been trying to revise, since her grades were very low before summer- she wanted to change that. Olivia didn't want a repeat of last year.

Belly slowly opened the door, standing in the doorway awkwardly, "Hey, uh, can I sit?"

Via looked up, her jaw dropping slightly causing the highlighter to fall from her mouth. She quickly picked it up, before removing her school book from her lap. She patted the bed, "Uh, sure. Yeah."

Belly sat on the edge of her bed, before drowning curiously, "Are you revising?"

"Trying to revise." Via corrected, before explaining, "Oh, I stayed up all night researching about mom's trial. And, uh, I tried to read some facts on it and I'm really hopeful. I feel like mom has a chance, like before."