5: Everybody Feels Stupid

AFTER SHOPPING for hours, Via had finally come to a decision about the dress she was going to wear for the Debutant Ball. Of course, the girl had come to a decision a while ago, though Susannah wanted everything to be perfect.

Perfect. Via looked at Belly in the mirror, as the girl scanned the dress with her eyes. Belly wore a white dress, a floral pattern printed onto it, as she frowned to herself. Olivia admired the girl, hoping that one day Belly would see herself the way Via did.

Olivia knew that Belly didn't like the dress she was wearing, so grabbed a plain one from the clothing rack. Via suggested, "What about this one?"

"No, Via, put it back." Susannah replied stubbornly, "It's too simple. The girls go all out."

Belly smiled, appreciating Olivia's efforts to try and convince her mom that not everything has to be perfect. But then again, Via knew it was her mother's dream- she didn't want to ruin it for her.

Via shrugged, putting the dress back, "It just seems more like Belly."

Susannah opened her mouth to reply, but realised that her daughter had taken off her pink fascinator. Her mother questioned, "Via, where's your fascinator?"

"Oh, the pink hat?" Via questioned curiously.

"Yes, the pink hat." Susannah stressed, "Did you leave it in the store earlier?"

Via lied, knowing she hadn't even purchased the hat, "No, uh, it's in my bag."

***

"Listen, uh, I'm sorry about my mom." Olivia apologised, as she walked with Belly towards the country club. She explained, "She's had this dream of me being a Debutante ever since I could walk. I understand if you don't wanna get dragged into her dream."

Belly smiled, "No, no. I like being all dressed up. I wish my mom was cool about it, like Susannah." She paused, hesitating for a moment, "Livy?"

"Yeah?"

Belly continued, "Tell me the truth, uh, do I look like a fool?"

Olivia stopped walking, almost in shock about what the girl had just asked. A fool? Via thought she was the most beautiful girl in the whole world. She scanned her checkered blue dress, the patterns of yellow flowers printed on it, and her pink fascinator placed perfectly on her brown hair.

Olivia thought of the correct words to say, as she smiled widely, "Belly, you're... you look beautiful." She paused, "Why would you think you look like a fool?"

"I don't know." Belly explained, "This whole Debutant thing isn't really me. I'm the Alley Cat. And you know, you always look so good, so I thought I'd look stupid... Do you feel stupid?"

"Everybody feels stupid." Via reassured, as she looked down at the pink dress she was wearing. She continued, "I did feel stupid, then I just chose not to."

Belly doubted, "It sounds easier said than done."

"It's all about confidence, but the thing about confidence is that nobody knows if it's real or not." Olivia explained, "Just walk into the meeting like you don't care." She paused, "And for the record, you can decide whether you're an Alley Cat or a Debutant. Don't let people decide for you."

Belly looked at Via, appreciating what she has said. A small smile appeared on her face, as her voice softened, "Thank you, Livy."