10: The Fourth

THE FOURTH of July in Cousins was all about traditions. Via helped her mom decorate the whole house, as the boys steamed clams and shot off fireworks. However, this year, Via could finally be herself- to a certain extent. Now all of the kids knew she was gay, she felt more comfortable and included.

Susannah continued speaking, "... Oh, which makes me think. If Belly doesn't hurry up and ask Cam to that Ball, you should take her."

Via's heart dropped at her mother's words as she felt her face blush a pink colour. She frowned, about to open her mouth to speak but Steven had already interrupted,

"No, no, no." Steven refused, "I'm already going with Shayla."

Via breathed in relief, realising her mother was asking Steven- not her, though she kind of wished it was.

"To the Debutante Ball?" Laurel questioned, "As an escort?"

"Yeah. Wrap your head around it, Mom, alright?" Steven explained, "Shayla's coming today with Nicole and Gigi, so you'll meet her."

Susannah reminded, "Oh, and don't forgot, Miss Convington's first dance rehearsal is tomorrow so, uh, tick-tock."

"I'm asking Cam today." Belly smiled, and Via's expression dropped as she remembered her words to her- we can go together, as friends.

Susannah nodded, before looking at her daughter, "Via, who are you going to ask?"

Via just shrugged, as she continued eating her cereal, "I don't know."

"Well, you need to decide today, okay? The dance rehearsal is tomorrow and you can't show up without a date." Susannah insisted, "You're already on thin ice with Paige because of the last meeting. So, try and make her happy by following the rules-"

Via defended, raising her voice slightly,"That wasn't my fault-"

"Via." Susannah warned, "You know this Ball means a lot to me... So, just please stay under the radar." She paused, "Via?"

The girl rolled her eyes, "Okay. Okay, mom." She paused, looking at Laurel beside her mom, "Your makeup looks nice by the way, Laurel."

Steven blurted out, "You're wearing makeup?!"

Belly teased, "Ohh! Mom!"

Susannah remarked, "I'm sure it has nothing to do with John coming to the Clam Bake."

"Oh, please." Laurel scoffed, "The husbands always come for the fourth."

Belly reminded, "He's not your husband anymore."

Steven sighed, "You know, I still don't understand why you invited Dad's girl friend."

"Her name is Victoria and your father wanted us all to meet her." Laurel explained, "Oh, Belly I need you to make up the guest bed for them."

Belly complained, "They're staying in the room next to mine?"

"You could sleep in my room if you wanted, Belles." Via suggested, a smile appearing on her face, "Like, a sleepover."

"Really?" Belly grinned, "Thanks."

"Oh, speaking of dads, yours called." Susannah exclaimed, "He's closing a deal, so he can't come."

Via muttered sarcastically, "That's a surprise."

"What?" Jere frowned.

Conrad walked inside, before asking, "Did you say dad's not coming?"

Jere continued, "But I got some serious fireworks for the show this year."

Susannah suggested, "We'll take a video."