14: Upcoming Trial

THE DAY of the Debutante Ball had arrived and Via was terrified. She had already made a mental list of all the things that could go wrong: she could trip, her dress straps could break, she could fall over, spill drink on the dress.

Susannah entered her room, "Good morn- Via, what are you already doing up?"

"Uh, I couldn't sleep." Via replied, as her mom perched on the side of her bed.

Susannah frowned, "Is everything okay? Did I push you into this? You can be honest."

"No, uh, maybe a little at first." Via chuckled, before replying, "But I wanted to make you happy."

"Look, honestly, we don't even need to go tonight if you don't want to, okay?" Susannah reassured, "I don't want you freaking out or having a-"

"I'm not gonna freak out, mom." Via reassured, though she was doubting herself, "I want to go. Belly and I are going as friends so, uh, I'm happy now."

Susannah smiled, cupping her daughter's face, "I love you so much, beautiful girl."

***

Belly and Via sat in the changing room helping each other get ready with the other Debs. Olivia did Belly's hair into a low bun, leaving her own down to decorate with a small white flower crown.

Olivia put big earrings in her ears, looking at herself in the mirror, not realising how worried she looked. Her anxiety furrowed her eyebrows, as her eyes darted at herself: her dress,  her makeup, her hair, her dress, her makeup, her hair...

"You look really pretty, Livy." Belly smiled, "Hey, can you help me do up this necklace?"

Via nodded, standing up to clip her mom's pearl necklace up at the back, her hands accidentally touching Belly's soft skin.

"Are you okay?" Belly questioned, turning around, "Your hands are shaking."

Via smiled slightly, "I'm fine, Belles."

"It's gonna be okay." Belly reassured, holding both of her hands, "I'll be with you every step of the way, unless I fall."

Via chuckled, "Don't say that."

"I'm serious, Liv." Belly repeated, "You look really pretty."

"You look pretty, too." Olivia smiled, and for the first time since the beginning of summer, she swore she saw that look in Belly's eyes.

After a while of waiting, Belly and Via finally walked down the stairs whilst Paige read out their names and how much they raised for the women's shelter in Volleyball. Belly held Via's arm tightly, before they walked to their table to stand in front of their families.

Via smiled at her mother who had tears in her eyes, and a feeling of happiness washed over her. She was living her summer wish- Via wished Evie was here to live it with her.

Unexpectedly, Laurel got up, tears filling her eyes as her voice broke, "I'll be right back."

Belly frowned in worry, "Where's she going?"

Via handed her mother the bouquet of red roses, before secretly taking her mother's phone from the table.

Via glanced at Conrad, a look of knowing filled his features as he looked down sadly. She had a feeling he knew something that Jeremiah and herself didn't. She looked at Belly, "Stay here, I'll back, I promise."

"Livy." Belly frowned, "What about the dance?"

"I'll be back in time for it." Via replied, "Just wait for me."