7: Sweet Sixteenth

DUE TO Via's childhood crush breaking her heart, she didn't sleep that night. She couldn't stop replaying what had happened in her head, especially the part when Belly accused Via of having a raging crush on her- she was right. 

The worst part was, Via had to pretend to be okay- which she was pretty good at doing, yet it drained her emotions completely. Today, Olivia had to ignore her raging crush on Belly and celebrate her birthday... like a normal friend would.

Belly exclaimed, "Good morning, everyone."

Susannah was the first to hug her, "There's the birthday girl, looking like a vision in floral."

Jere hugged her tightly, "Happy sweet 16th, Belles."

Belles. Via gritted her teeth, before rushing up to Belly. She hugged her awkwardly, as Via tried to act like last night never happened. Olivia smiled, though she didn't feel like smiling, "Happy birthday, Belly."

Belly smiled, though confusion spread across the girls face, "Thanks, uh, I'm sorry about what I-"

"Don't worry about it, seriously, it's no big deal." Olivia smiled, before sitting at the table eagerly.

"Now Belly Button's getting old finally." Steven added, "Happy birthday."

Laurel hugged her daughter, "Happy birthday, sweetheart."

Belly grinned, "Thanks, everyone."

The family sat in the living room, gathered on the couches surrounding Belly as she opened everyone's presents. Laurel handed her daughter the first present, watching as she opened it, "It's a first edition, I got it from a rare book dealer."

"Thanks, mom." Belly tried to sound enthusiastic, as she opened a page where a bookmark had been placed, "Oh, it's Susannah's favourite poem! She made us recite this. For whatever we lose, Like a you or a me, it's always ourselves we find in the sea."

"Okay, open mine now, Belly." Susannah passed her a gift eagerly, watching as Belly unwrapped it.

Belly's face lit up when she saw the pearls in the box she had opened, "Oh, wow. They're gorgeous, thank you."

"My mom gave me these pearls for my sweet 16." Susannah exclaimed, as she turned to face Laurel, "Radiant, isn't she?"

Laurel agreed, "They look great on you, sweetheart."

Belly glanced at Via, before asking, "Why didn't you give them to Livy?"

Susannah explained, "She told me they'd look better on you."

A slight smile appeared on Belly's face as she nodded in appreciation at Via, "Thank you, Livy. It means a lot."

"I guess that's my queue..." Via smiled, as she passed her present over to the girl, "Go on, open it."

Belly carefully opened Via's gift, revealing a framed photo of the two girls. Olivia had doodled on the frame of the photograph, which was Belly's favourite selfie of them together.

Belly grinned, "Oh my God, I love this picture! Thank you, Liv."

"I'm next, here." Jere exclaimed, passing his gift to Belly as she opened it. He explained, "It's a good luck charm to help you pass your driving test."

Belly smiled, "Perfect. Thank you-"

"Think fast, Belly!" Steven interrupted, chucking his present at her.

"Steven!" Belly gasped, before opening the Princeton sweater he had gifted her. She said sarcastically, "You actually spent money on me."

Steven replied, "Relax, I just didn't want you stealing mine next year when I get in."