٦

HIS NIQABI GIRL

Elham

It was friday night already and I was getting excited for the weekend. The week had been hectic even though I was starting enjoy my job, which I hated to admit.
Yasmeen was leaving by Sunday. Imaan was still at my place. Hadeel still hadn't showed up. However, Asaad reassured me that Hadeel would come around soon and that he talked some sense into him. I didn't tell Imaan about this but I made sure to keep asking her if she had received any calls or texts from him, which she hadn't yet.
Yasmeen still had no idea that her step brother and sister in-laws marriage was rocky and I intended on keeping my mouth shut about it.

Ummi had already went into her room, earlier than usual so it was just the three of us watching the TV in the sitting room with the dim lights on. We were laughing about something that was said in the movie when I silently thanked Allah for the friends he had blessed me with. Although Yasmeen had joined us much later in highschool and was away mostly during college, we still managed to make things work. We were now all grown up and better versions of out teenage selves.

I noticed Imaan answering a call, uneasily. It didn't seem like she was interested the phone call conversation. A while later, the doorbell rang and she quickly stood up, muttering "I'll get it" to Yasmeen and I. I furrowed my eyebrows but quickly shrugged my suspicions away when I realized she probably ordered in some pizza or something.

Moments passed by and Imaan hadn't returned from the front door, so I informed Yasmeen that I was going to check out if everything was fine with her. On reaching there, I felt a mix of emotions run through me. Imaan and Hadeel were hugging each other tightly.
I was angry at Hadeel, happy for Imaan yet scared for her also. However, Imaan and I were two different people because if my husband treated me like that, we'd be yelling at each other once he showed up at the door like that afte disappearing for a week.

I cleared my throat, causing them to be aware of my presence. Hadeel looked at me awkwardly in which I responded with a firm smile.

I greeted him afterwards as Imaan let go of him, wiping tears away from her cheeks.
"It's been a while" I said to him with a fake smile, trying so hard not to throw my fists at him. He hurt my best friend.

A lot.

"Yeah..." he trailed off, ashamed.
"Would you mind if I steal your friend for some time. I need to clear the air about everything that has happened" He said.

"Well she's your wife. You can always have her. However, she better not be crying when she's back" I threatened him. He nodded in defeat, clearly disappointed in his actions.

"Elham, relax I'll be alright. Stop threatening my husband" Imaan joked. I faked a laughter , excusing myself from where they were. I was filled with hurt. Who was he to put her through hell for days and show up so casually afterwards?

******************************************************

"And why do you think you have any rights to barge into my office like this?" A wide eyed and confused Asaad asked me. I was currently in his office, standing awkwardly.

"Thank you" I simply mouthed, ignoring his question.
He began asking why but immediately realised what it was about.

"I did not do it for you. Hadeel is my cousin, I had to help fix things. Understood?" He stated firmly, shifting his attention back to his MacBook.

I stood there, wondering why he was being rude. I mean, Asaad was always rude anyway but why did it hurt so bad?
Was a part of me yearning for our friendship again? Had I really gotten over everything that had happened years ago?

I turned quietly, shutting the door behind me, lost in my thoughts.

Imaan had followed her husband back home the day he had showed up at my place. We spoke the day after and she assured me that things were now great between them. I really hoped that was true.
The weekend was busy, fun with Yasmeen, Imaan and I trying out multiple restaurants, going bowling, seeing a movie at the cinema, visiting the beach, went to the spa and then the hair salon where I had even got a fresh haircut.

I got myself some bangs and now I was starting to consider if I had made the right choice. Because I had to lay my hair backwards before wearing on my hijab. It was stressful but for some reason, I still loved it.

I hadn't got any time to paint recently and I made up my mind to be more intentional about making time to paint on weekends, as I was now busy with work on weekdays.

Nonetheless, the weekend was nothing short of fun with my two friends and now that Yasmeen had left the country and Imaan was back at her own place, I was starting to feel really bored and lonely.

*******************************************************

I had closed late from work, something I was now fond of doing.
I parked my car before working into our apartment building.
Taking the elevator, I got to our floor swiftly.
The front door was open to my surprise so I stepped in. Immediately, I noticed something. My dad's voice and another familiar voice. I listened quickly and furrowed my brows when I recognized the second person's voice.
It was Sufy.
But why was he here?
Or was he gonna inform my dad about his upcoming wedding?

Bamboozled, I stayed still, focusing fully on the conversation.

"I really apologize for arriving late. There was some traffic on my way here" Sufy said.

"Oh it's alright" I heard my dad say. "Uh... you may be wondering why I called you here?" He continued.
I was also wondering why he called Sufyan there. What was my father up to?

There was silence for a second before my dad spoke again.

"You know you're like a son to me. I've watched you and Elham grown into the responsible adults you are today. Your father and I were childhood best friends and we're still really good friends despite the distance. So I need you to be honest with me about something" my dad said.

"Alright. What could that be?" Sufy's voice sounded reluctant.

My dad cleared his throat. "Is there something going on between you and Elham? Have you two perhaps taken a liking for each other... romantically?"

I choked on my saliva on hearing my dad's words, causing me to cough uncontrollably.
They noticed my presence as they both rushed to the door where I stood in shock.

"Elham. Have you been here?" My dad asked. I glanced at Sufyan, then back at my dad.

"Uh yes. I also heard everything you said and now I wish I didn't because it feels awkward. But I assure you dad, Sufy and I do not feel that way about each other please" I rambled.

My dad turned to look at Sufy who nodded, confirming what I had just said.

"Elham is right. There's no such thing between the both of us. At all. She's literally like a sister to me.

I nodded in agreement.

"Besides. I'm actually getting married soon In shaa Allah to Yasmeen, Elham's friend. She was here throughout last week" Sufyan explained to my dad.

"Asaad's cousin?" My dad asked Sufyan before turning to look at me teasingly.

"Yes she is"

They carried on with the conversation while I excused myself and headed to my bedroom.

What just happened? Did my dad really think Sufyan and I liked each other in that way?

Embarrassed, I groaned.
I couldn't even imagine liking Sufy, let alone getting married to him.
Hell no.

It was even more awkward because he and Yasmeen were engaged to be married. How would she have felt if she had witnessed or heard that conversation that took place.  Was this something I was supposed to discuss with her so she doesn't find out elsewhere and think suspiciously of me?

But more importantly, what was the teasing look my dad gave me when he mentioned Asaad's name.

I shook my hear.

What on earth was he up to?