٢٥

Picture of Elham to the top ^^

Elham.

I stepped out of the elevator slowly, attempting to reach the apartment without any of the bags in my hand falling off. My hands were full and now, I wondered how I managed to fit everything into my hands let alone get to this floor, without a disaster happening.

Maybe I'm not so clumsy anymore.

Once I unlocked the door, I stepped in, slowly placing all the bags to the ground with a sigh. I must have miscalculated because the bag containing some hot sauce fell with a loud thud, sending its contents spilling out on the floor.

Ahh yes, I'm still clumsy.

I hissed, as I cleaned it up. Luckily, not all the sauce had spilled and there was still a decent amount left in the plastic container. This was embarrassing, I was supposed to host my husband's family and mine as well, and here I was, purchasing food from vendors instead of cooking.

And my mom is a chef.

The irony.
It was already 2pm and I was eager to receive my guests. Perhaps, it was due to how lonely I had felt the past days and now, I could finally interact with other people in the comfort of my home.

My home.
Was this place really even home, because it felt foreign as the days passed by.

I had made sure to clean up the entire apartment thoroughly. It was barely dirty or messed up, but I didn't want to have Ummi scolding and embarrassing me over something like that.

I set the table and it was soon occupied with a variety of meals. Satisfied, I decided to shower and change into fresh clothes. I had just stepped out of the shower when my phone buzzed, it was an unknown number.

Unusual.

Once I picked, there was silence for a while before the other person spoke.

"Hello beautiful" the voice said, and I immediately recognized who it was.

"Hello?" I responded.

"So you blocked my number huh?" He asked.

It was Rayyan. I had blocked his contact on my phone hoping he'd stay away but hearing his voice, I realized that this man wasn't willing to give up.

I sighed to his hearing. "Rayyan, what part of I'm married don't you understand?" I questioned.

"The part where you being married doesn't stop us from being together?" He responded.

What?

"Okay, I've been very respectful but for you to say that, you have to be sick in the head" I blurted out, very irritated by his words.

"Come on, I know you'd like to have some fun with me. Besides, everyone knows your husband. Why waste your time being loyal to a womaniser?" He stated.
Furiously, I hung up and blocked the number.

If there was one thing this man had, it was definitely a lot of audacity. And to think he seemed like a decent and responsible man when I first saw him, was this the jerk I considered marrying?

The doorbell rang, distracting my thoughts. Once I opened the door, I found Imaan and Hadeel standing by the door.

"Salam alaykum" Hadeel said as they stepped in. I pulled my best friend into a tight hug.

"Girl chill, you're restricting my airflow" She joked.

I smiled, stepping back. "Wa alaykum salam. Good afternoon Hadeel. How're you doing?" I said.