١٣

HIS NIQABI GIRL

Elham.

When my father had presented the marriage proposal to me, he forgot to add that we were to get married urgently because now, I had only a week to my wedding and I just couldn't wrap my head around that fact.

"Would you prefer this dress in purple or red?" Ummi asked me as she showed me a picture on her phone.
It was Saturday, and she was trying to get me to pick the oufits for my wedding events.

Of course, I wasn't exactly excited but I understood that this was a big deal for her and I didn't want to ruin that.
"Can I get it in white instead?" I asked her flatly.

"I'm not sure, I'll ask her" Ummi replied joyfully. She had been so happy at the news of the wedding and had been planning already since then.

"Ummi, do we have to do this in a week? Why can't we postpone it? Why not in two? Or even three months?" I suggested. The thought of having to live under the same roof with Asaad made me anxious and I was not ready to face it yet.
Plus, one week was a very short time to plan an entire wedding.
So why the rush?

"Oh come on. The sooner the better! We don't need to wait any longer" Ummi mentioned.
I couldn't tell if she was excited about me getting married or if she just wanted me to leave her house.

Or both.

I nodded. "Alright Ummi"

We carried on with the planning for a while until it was time for maghrib prayer and we all went to observe our salaah.
Once I was done, I noticed my phone ringing.

As I answered the FaceTime call, three faces popped up on my screen.
Imaan, Yasmeen and Aseeyah.

"Hey bridey!" Yasmeen teased with a grin.
I couldn't resist blushing at her words.

"Hey love, we're literally gonna be sisters in law soon" Aseeyah said with a squeal.

"Finally! Asaad and Elham, my favorite ship" Imaan said, clapping her hands together in excitement.

I shook my head with a chuckle, tucking some strands of hair behind my ear.

"The craziest part is he has no idea what she looks like" Imaan added.

Instantly, I felt a lump in my throat. This was a fear that had  been lurking at the back of my head for a while.
Since I was a Niqabi, only my mahrams were allowed to see my face. Asaad had never seen my face and I felt nervous to the core at the thought of my face reveal to him once we were married. How would he feel about my looks? Was he going to find me attractive?
Asaad was a pretty attractive man who had multiple women throwing themselves at him. The likes of Amna and Farhanna who I looked nothing like. They were skinny and had the most attractive features and great sense of fashion too.
I on the other hand, was a plain jane compared to them.

What if he finds me ugly when he sees me?

"Oh I'm sure he'd love her. Elham is really pretty" Aseeyah said, causing me to smile shyly.

Really? Am I pretty?

"Anyway, we just wanted congratulating you. We'll be flying to New York within the week so we can help with the planning and arrangements" Yasmeen mentioned.

We all chitchatted for about an hour, with everyone filling in the others about the latest drama going on in their lives. The FaceTime was fun and filled with laughter until Yasmeen said something directed to me.

"Okay so Asaad asked me to pass a message to you. He's asking you unblock him please so he can call you. He wants to discuss something with you" she said.
I almost totally forgot that I still had him blocked everywhere. Embarrassed, I nodded.