٧

HIS NIQABI GIRL

I blushed as my two siblings jumped on me excitedly.

"Thank you sister Elham!" They both repeatedly said, hugging me tightly. I had just come back from the mall, with the toys they had asked me for. Yusra, two dolls and Yasir, a toy car. It felt great, being able to shower my siblings with gifts and put a smile on their faces.

My stepmother simply watched us in amusement.
"You two be careful so you don't make her trip and fall to the ground" she laughed.

A week had gone by now and it was already another weekend. I was starting to yearn the feeling of having a partner. Someone to talk to, crack jokes with, someone that would be my own person and I wondered who that could be and where on earth he was.

I wanted to find the love of my life and get married.

My two best friends were also really busy with work like me. Imaan had someone to go back home to after a long day and so was Sufy soon enough. Was something wrong with me? I didn't have any prospects at all. No man had showed any interest in me let alone marriage. It was usually harder for niqabis to find suitors but in a city like New York, it was way harder.

I joined the twins on the couch as we watched their favourite cartoons. However, my mind wandered to the topic of marriage throughout.

Later that evening, I helped Yusra with her homework before heading down to our own apartment. I sorted out my outfit for work the next day, hoping Allah would answer my prayers of finding the love of my life.

Was I that desperate? Yes, pretty much.

******************************************************

The next day was a step towards the prayer I had asked Allah for, but I had no idea of course.
I had woken up on a the very good side of the bed and got dressed up nicely for work.

I had also gotten to work thirty minutes earlier. The day kicked off pretty soon and it was a busy Monday. We had about three different meetings and there was a lot of undone work piling up on my table.
Once it was time for lunch break, I took
The elevator downstairs, and walked to a nearby restaurant. I was starving and needed to have a full meal.
I took some pictures of the busy streets of New York as I strolled to the restaurant.

Mu nose was hit with the aromatic smell if food as I walked through the glass doors. And of course, everyone in there turned to look at me judgingly before returning back to what they were doing. I took a table by the far corner which was quieter than the other parts.

The waitress had taken my order and I was scrolling through instagram when someone joined me on my table. The pleasant smell of an oud perfume hit my nostrils as I rose my head to look.

"Salaam" his smiled, showing off his pearly white teeth. His caramel skin glowed under the sunlight and I pondered for a second on whether if it'd be weird if I asked him for his skincare routine.