٢١

HIS NIQABI GIRL

Elham.

The remainder of the day consisted of me drowning in guilt in our bedroom while Asaad was nowhere to be found. Since he had stormed out after the back and forth we had, I couldn't seem to reach his phone or figure out where on earth he was.

He's taking my words a bit too personal.

It was dark and I had just finished praying Maghrib, when I decided that I needed to stop starving myself. I barely touched the sandwiches he had given me.

Again, I heard the front door open. I wanted to run to him and beg for forgiveness but my ego was not going to ever let that happen.

My phone buzzed and it was Ummi.
Grinning, I answered the call.

"Miss me already?" I teased.

"Absolutely not. I've been having the time of my life!" She responded.

Ouch.

"Have you? Good evening ummi" I said, greeting her.

"How're you my dear? How's Asaad? Is he close by, I'd like to say hi"

"Uh... actually he stepped out to get something" I lied.

Ummi was quiet for a while, as though she sensed that I wasn't speaking the truth.

"How're you doing? I hope you two are catching up well?" She asked.

I answered with a number of lies so she wouldn't sense the tension.

We spoke for a good thirty minutes. She also passed the phone to Karina, Lakshmi and Layla who I chitchatted a bit with before hanging up.

Suddenly, silence filled the air making me realise how lonely I now was.

Everyone was right, I should have given Asaad the benefit of the doubt, we weren't supposed to be fighting this much as a newly wed couple. Of course we didn't have to be all lovey dovey, but we needed to have a cordial and peaceful relationship where we weren't yelling on the top of our voices at each other.

I needed to drop my ego for once and offer him a proper apology.

And I was nervous.

I pulled the door open, I caught a sight of him in the living room watching some show on the TV.

I knew he heard my footsteps as they echoed while I approached him but he didn't move one bit or acknowledge my presence.

"Hey, can we talk please?" I asked him anxiously, holding my hands together.

He didn't flinch.

"Asaad?" I said.

Silence.

"I'm really sorry about everything. I should have granted you a listening ear before jumping in to any conclusions. I was blinded by my emotions" I spoke softly, hoping he'd say something this time.

Unfortunately for me, he was still ignoring me.

I proceeded to stand in front of him, obstructing his view of the TV.

"Forgive me, please?" I begged, looking into his eyes as he avoided any eye contact with me. Now that I was standing closer to him, I could perceive the smell of cigarette.
He had smoked.
This was another issue I was going to have to deal with, but we had to be friends again first.

He was still ignoring. So I did the unexpected, daring to take a step closer, standing in the space in between his legs.

This time, I managed to squeeze a reaction out of him. He looked up at me, his eyes were dark. I had to admit I was a bit worried and scared.