Chapter 5

I slipped on the black mid length slip dress Cat had laid out for me. Peering at my figure in the mirror, I felt too exposed, too sleek, too much like her. I closed my eyes and opened them back up. The black and gold smudged around my eyes, the perfect blowout of my hair. I looked like I belonged here.

Maybe that's what bothered me most.

Still, I stepped into the grungy platform sandals and pulled on the bedazzled vest with rhinestones that perfectly matched the ones Cat had glued to my cheekbones. A knock sounded on the door and I turned around to see Lilianna walking in.

"Brooklyn," She took me in. "It's perfect." 

Maybe all I needed was the reassurance, because with that I walked with her out to where Cat and Beth waited.

"Good lord, Cat, what have you done with our Brooklyn and where did you get this sexy rockstar?" Beth smiled at me. 

"Well now that my job here is done, it's time to go get myself ready. I left most of my stuff on the bus, so I'll just go out there." And then she was gone. I turned with a questioning gaze to Beth, who simply shook her head, silently begging me not to ask right now. 

"You're on in 20 minutes." Lilianna stated. "Do you need or want anything before then?" 

"I think I'm just going to sit outside for a couple minutes. Catch my breath. I'll be back in here in ten." She smiled at me as I followed out to where Cat had exited. I sat on the bench facing  the tour bus. Even though I couldn't see inside the bus, I knew Cat was inside, upset. I would find her after the show and try to figure out what was going on. 

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath of fresh air. I was going to perform and, even if they hated it, I was going to give the best show of my life. I had to. These guys had invited me, invited my friends. I couldn't let them down. But even more, I couldn't let down that 8 year old girl with her karaoke machine. 16 year old me who barely saw a way out of her toxic relationship and made it through by writing songs. I was doing this for them, because they were finally living their dream. I was doing it for me. 

The door to the venue swung open. "Brooklyn?" Jake's voice echoed through the small, enclosed courtyard. "Oh thank god. I was..." At first I didn't know why he was looking at me like he'd never seen me before. Then I remembered what I looked like. "Wow." Was all he whispered out.

"Wow you," I said taking in the jacket that truly did look better on him than it ever would on me.

"Sam told me you were nervous earlier. How are you?" He said, sitting down next to me.

"I'm good, actually. I'm ready." And saying it out loud made me realize I really was. I stood to go back inside when the door to the tour bus opened and Cat stepped out, ready to go. 

She had on a completely sheer white lace dress. Her matching black set underneath matched perfectly with the chunky black boots on her feet. She had simple makeup on, only a small eyeliner wing, and curled hair that looked natural. Around her neck was a thin black string tied in a perfect bow and dripping down her exposed chest. She stepped out with an aura of confidence and pure beauty. There was no other way around it.

And I don't think even God himself could have pulled Jake's eyes away from her. 

If I thought his reaction to me was something, I was mistaken in comparison to the way he gazed at her. I slipped past him and back inside before I could further interact with either of them. Suddenly, the moment outside felt too intimate for even me. I found Lilianna inside, also dressed for the night in her black flare jeans and a black top with a plunging v-neck that perfect hugged her body. I beamed at her.