Chapter 29

Lilianna's POV

As soon as Jake walked into the bar, I knew something was wrong. He scanned the room and when he met my eyes, he looked heartbroken. The look he gave me told me we had to talk.

And I wouldn't like what it was about. 

He subtly nodded towards the bathroom and my heart sunk. I turned to Danny next to me, obliviously talking to Sam, and pulled his face to mine, giving him a long kiss on the lips.

"Oh..." he murmured into my mouth. I smirked at him. "What was that for?" He said. 

"Just because I love you." I smiled back. "I'm going to the bathroom, I'll be back." I hated lying to him. My stomach churned.

"Okay, baby, I love you." He smiled. My heart melted in my chest. 

"I love you." I said back, walking towards the bathroom. Jake grabbed me and pulled me in, locking the door quickly. 

"She knows. Cat. Well, she thinks she knows things that she doesn't know, but it's bad, Lilianna, it's really bad." 

"Jake slow down." I said. "What happened? Is this about the kiss? Because it's none of my business, Jake."

"Cat knows it was you that day in the bar. But she thinks we were...."

He didn't have to finish the sentence. I knew what he meant. I started shaking my head as he trailed off. 

"No." I stated, starting to panic.

"I'm sorry, Lilianna, I tried to tell her but she wouldn't listen. She won't listen and I'm afraid she's thinking the absolute worse and I think she's going to...." He stopped. 

"She's going to?" 

He didn't say anything, just took a deep breath and ran his hand through his hair. He looked stressed and upset and tired. Really, really tired.

"What is she going to do, Jake?" I asked again. He didn't really have to say it. I was afraid I already knew. But I wanted him to tell me I was wrong. I wanted him to tell me I was overreacting. 

"I think you need to talk to Danny." He whispered. And with that, my worst fears were confirmed. My head immediately started spinning with what that conversation would have to look like. He would understand. He always heard me. He knew I loved him.

I left the bathroom without answering Jake. Danny saw me and smiled, but soon realized that my mood had changed. I held his gaze but walked past him. He stood fast and called my name, but I just kept walking. He followed me out the door of the bar. 

"Lilianna, baby, what's wrong?" 

I kept walking. I couldn't turn to look at him. I didn't know what to say or how to say it. I didn't know how he would respond. He reached his hand out and grabbed my arm, stopping me. He spun me to him and furrowed his brow at the sight of my tears.

How could something so perfect potentially get ruined over something that didn't even happen?

He wiped the tear from my cheek and silently begged me to fill him in.

My emotions were drowning me. 

"Danny, I have to tell you something and you aren't going to like it." I whispered.

He pulled his hand away. "Okay."

"The day that I had to clear my head...alone," I said. He took a step back. "I went to a bar. And when I got there, Jake was already there, and already drunk. I got drunk too." He started slowly shaking his head. 

"We...danced. We just danced, Danny, and he dipped me and we were...close but nothing happened I didn't want anything to happen and..."

"How close were you, Lilianna?" He ran his hand through his curls. 

"Danny," I said as calmly as I could, but my shaky voice was making me sound more guilty. "I promise you, nothing happened. I didn't want anything to. I was thinking about you." I reached out for his arm but he shrugged it away.

"Telling me that you were thinking about me while almost kissing my brother is not helping, Lilianna." His tone was sharp and took me by surprise. It felt like 100 knives in my chest.

"Danny, that's not what I mean and you know it. It's you, it's always been you. I wanted to tell you first because..."

"You wanted to tell me first? But this happened over a month ago. So why now? Why hide it?" The look on his face almost made my knees give out.

"Because it didn't matter. And nothing happened. But I didn't want any secrets. Or for you to get the wrong idea from Cat. She thinks she knows, but she doesn't.

He didn't say anything, just buried his face in his hands. I knew this was breaking his heart. It was breaking mine to see him so upset. I hated myself for even letting it get as far as it did. 

"Danny, I love you." I pleaded with him, taking a step closer. "I love you and I have always loved you. Only you." I reached my hand to his arm. He let it stay there that time. "It meant nothing. He means nothing. I was stupid and sad and overwhelmed, but it meant nothing."

"I wish you had let me be the one to comfort you." He whispered. The tears started falling again. 

"You're the only one who has ever made me feel better. You're the only one. Period."

He held my eyes. I was crying and he was heartbroken. I saw it all over his face. I didn't know what else to say, didn't know if there was anything else I could say. 

I reached my hand up to his cheeks. He usually melts into my touch, but I felt him stiffen underneath it. 

He back away from me again. "I can't right now, Lilianna. I just..." He sighed. "I need some time to think." 

And then he walked away.

And my heart broke more and more with every step he took away from me. I should have never said anything. I should've just talked Cat down. My head was spinning and I broke down crying. I couldn't survive tour without Danny. I couldn't do life without him. How could I begin to? He had to see my side. He would understand.

Right? 

This couldn't be the way we ended things.

Right?