Childhood friend

In the metropolis of Australia, where the city gleamed with neon lights against the night sky, stood Aera Kim. She walked through the streets of Sydney admiring the beautiful sky filled with stars.

💌 Aera's pov:
I was returning from my visual arts academy. Usually, i enjoy the feeling of being able to draw.
At the very essence of my existence, an unending love for art blooms. It's the purest form of self-expression, a dialogue between the artist and the nature.

Art is something i enjoy the most. My love for art developed when i was in Korea. I was very young when my family and I moved to Australia. But i do have those faint memories, beautiful ones.

It was the spring season. I remember going out with my nanny. Since my parents have always been busy, they hired a nanny who would be 24/7 taking care of me. I wanted to go to the park, so she accompanied me there. When we reached there, i could see a lot of children playing together, accompanied by their parents i guess. This made me feel unimportant as i was just a child and couldn't understand why my parents were always busy, for me.

Shrugging my thoughts away, i went towards the only huge cherry blossoms tree there.

As i was about to sit on the bench i pointed at, i saw a figure sitting there

As i was about to sit on the bench i pointed at, i saw a figure sitting there. I wondered what he was doing there, all alone. As i got nearer, i could see the boy drawing something on his art pad. I got really curious, and peeked from behind the tree. I was confused. He drew a house? Out of all the things he could've drawn?

 He drew a house? Out of all the things he could've drawn?

The house was huge, modern, but looked a little messy. Suddenly, the boy tore the sketch he drew and threw it on the ground.

"Why would you do that?", I asked.

He flinched at the sudden voice, and looked behind. He looked like a foreigner, and also Korean.

"Who are you? And why are you looking at my drawings?" He asked back.

"Honestly, the sketch wasn't really good but WHY WOULD YOU TEAR THAT PAGE. You're disrespecting the sketch" I yelled.

My nanny looked at me with widened eyes as if i were about to cry. The boy looked confused too. He broke the ice by saying..

"It was my home."

I look at him waiting for him to speak.

"It was my home, back in Australia. I had to move to Korea due to some reasons. I don't like it here. I miss my friends, and everyone there."

I was sad after hearing his story. I went to him, and hugged him. He was taken aback.

"Korea is a great country to live in. Everyone here is so friendly. You should try making friends here. I promise, you'll love it here. I'll be your friend."

He spoke nothing for a few minutes but then..

"I'm Jake. I'm 9 years old." He extended his hand for a handshake.

I smiled cutely before shaking hands with him.

"I'm Kim Aera. I'm 7 years old."

"7 years? No way. I thought we're the same age"

These conversations led to our friendship. That day, we played a lot. He seemed happier than he was before.

This is the only memory i have, before moving to Australia. My family moved here a week after I met with Jake. That day, i went to the park just to meet Jake as it was my last day in Korea. I thought i wouldn't be able to meet him, but he came. He came to meet me. We cried, i wasn't ready to leave my friend like that.

He then gave me his paper drawing, the same sketch he drew before.

"W-will you be b-back?" He asked with glistening eyes.

"I will" I said, crying.

"Pinky promise?" He extended his pinky finger.

"Pinky promise." I said, joining his finger.

Since then, my love for art grew. Maybe because it reminded me of him, my childhood friend. My life would've been meaningless without art, i'm glad to be able to express my feelings through art.