Friend's Audition

The smell of beautiful Sakura blossoms that fell down the tree caught my attention. I kept sketching the ducks in the pond in front of me, on my little notebook that I carry around all the time, while sitting on a bench nearby. I flipped the pages one by one to see the progress of my drawings recently, Suddenly a page flew and I got up from the bench and bent over to pick up the piece of paper.

I picked up the paper and memories suddenly hit me. I glanced at the bottom of the page to see a signature.. "jake" was all it said. I chuckle softly after seeing the old drawing. "I had no idea i've kept this in here". I say to myself while remembering how Jake & I used to play in the park nearby our houses.

My thoughts were interrupted by a loud noise that was coming from my phone. It was a reminder i set up a few weeks ago. "Sophia's audition" was what it said. I totally forgot about it.

Well, Sophia is my friend for 4 years to be exact. She's a great person, and is very smart. Her grades have always been good too. A year ago, she told me about her newly developed interest in music, and Kpop industry. I did not really know a lot of korean songs except a few but she would always recommend or more like force me to listen to some songs she liked. There was one song.. "shoutout" by a boy group. It's such a beautiful song. I found myself singing it with those unfamiliar voices. Ever since then, that's the only Kpop song I've fully memorised. A few months ago, Sophia told us about her plan to audition to become a Kpop Idol. Kenji, (my bestfriend) tried to control his laughter to which I pinched his arm. He winced in pain. I glared at him & asked not to say anything as i knew Sophia would create a huge problem. Dramatic right?

I sighed. Sophia told us to come at her house to see her audition. Since we're in Australia, her very first audition & as well as the interview was online. She had sent some of her dance practice videos to the company she's auditioning for. It's something like 'Hybe entertainment company'. The only thing I know is that this is a very huge company, with very popular artists & idol groups such as BTS, and TXT i guess.

Suddenly, i get another notification. It was a message, from my best friend Kenji.

Kenji:
Hey, are you going to Sophia's house to see her 'audition' 😐?

Aera:
Of course, stupid. I have to, you know. And wby? She called us over. She also asked Hyein to join but since she's in Korea for vacations, it's only you and me.

Kenji:
I can't let you go alone because i know her intentions. She just want to show off because she's auditioning for whatever it is. Never mind, where are you? I'll pick you up.

Aera:
Sure, I'm in the park. The usual spot.

A few minutes later, Kenji arrives. On our way to Sophia's house, he talked a lot. The journey time to her house is like 28 mins so i decided to turn on some music. Kenji hands me his phone as his playlist is a chef kiss. He also listens to Kpop music, sometimes.

"Play Butterfly by BTS" he said.

"Sure, here".

I play the song he asked me to. It's beautiful. You must be thinking how can he understand Korean? So no he doesn't. He knows just a few words. He always says "Music has no language barrier". And i kinda agree. We enjoy every type of music. Coming back to the song, the vocals of the artists are heavenly. As I understand Korean, i knew what the song was about.

do not think about anything
아무것도 생각하지 마
amugeosdo saeng-gaghaji ma

You don't even say anything
넌 아무 말도 꺼내지도 마
neon amu maldo kkeonaejido ma